Sweetheart

One evening, the house buzzed with its usual activity, seemingly spontaneous parties cropping up out of thin air. I lounged on the couch, engrossed in a magazine, when Markus strolled in with a woman in tow. Pausing before crossing the room, she glanced at me tentatively.

"Um...hello?" she ventured.

"Hello," I replied, looking up. Markus returned and made introductions.

"Sweetheart, meet Vince's girl, Lilly."

The woman remained silent, so Markus ushered her over to greet the others. I had a feeling she knew everything the moment her eyes met mine.

I resumed reading as they engaged in conversation nearby. Eventually, Vince beckoned me to join them. As I approached, I noticed Markus whisper something to Vince, prompting him to ask, "Why?"

Realizing the attention on them, Markus shared, "I think Jen is feeling a bit jealous of your girl."

"What?" Vince exclaimed, pulling me into a hug. "I may not be the most handsome guy, but Lilly is definitely with me, Jen. Look." He then playfully gestured toward me, dispelling the tension in the room. Amidst laughter, Vince turned me around and kissed me in front of everyone.

"Okay, okay," Jen conceded. "I get it. She's your girl."

With the atmosphere lightened, everyone became engrossed in their own conversations. Before departing, Jen even remarked, "I truly hope things work out between you and Vince, so he doesn't consider sharing you with his friends."

Yes, she was aware of everything. I simply smiled and remained silent.