final goodbyes ; kagehina

(hinata is suffering from a fatal illness)  

kageyama stepped into the hospital room. upon seeing the sight before him, his eyes began to sting and he wanted to believe this was not real. but it was.

his partner, once a rival and lover was there, lying on the hospital bed, with tons of tubes connected to his body next to a huge machine. there were fluids being pumped into and out of his frail body. the heart monitor was beeping steadily in sync with his breathing. his once bright orange mop of hair was losing its brightness and turning less orangey, kind of like orange-grey.

the doctor told kageyama that hinata did not have much time left. he was probably going to die within two days, or a week, at most. it shocked and hurt kageyama to know that his boyfriend was dying just like that.

upon sensing kageyama's presence, hinata turned his head slowly to meet his dark blue eyes.

"hey," he whispered as he managed a smile.

kageyama fought back tears as he walked towards the bed and sat down in the chair next to it.

there was silence in the air. neither one of them knew what exactly to say to cheer the other one up. hinata knew that he was going to leave this world as well his kageyama, and kageyama knew that hinata was gong to leave him soon.

"i-it's been a great year with you, tobio," he said, reaching his arm out.

"d-don't," kageyama said, pushing his hand away, "save your energy."

there was a moment of silence, before hinata said, "so it's come to this, huh?"

kageyama looked at him strangely, "what do you mean?"

"i'm going to die soon," hinata said, "and every last moment i've spent with you was worthwhile."

tears began dripping down kageyama's face as he said, "you... you've been a great partner. and you were the only one that could receive my quick sets..."

hinata glanced up at kageyama's face, before saying, "it... it's funny how we started off as rivals, r-right?"

kageyama stared straight into his shining brown orbs. he was holding back his tears. slowly, he nodded his head. memories of how they first met at the junior high volleyball competition started flooding into his mind.

so what's going to be left of hinata was just memories?

"arigatou for being my amazing setter," hinata choked out as tears began to fall from his sparkling eyes, "i couldn't have done it without you."

he took a deep breath, then continued, "thank you for helping me improve myself, and thank you... for everything."

not wanting to regret not doing something he just thought of, kageyama bent his head down and closed his eyes, capturing hinata's lips into a soft and gentle kiss. hinata's hand grasped onto kageyama's wrist tightly with every last ounce of strength that was left in his crumbling body as he shut his eyes.

beep.

the heart monitor let out a long beep a few seconds later. kageyama's eyes widened as hinata's grip on his arm loosened and fell to his side. tears began falling down from his eyes and staining hinata's pale face like a rapid waterfall.

no. this can't be happening, he thought. the doctor said hinata had at least two days left to live! why did he just...?

the doctors rushed in and mimed apologies on his loss before removing the tubes and whatnot connected to the now dead orange head.

kageyama took one last glance at his dead lover as tears continued streaming down his face openly.

thank you for having confidence in me.

suki, shoyo.

(t: i love you)

word count: 573
date originally published: 030117
date republished: 090317

a/n: y'all must hate me now