Chapter 1

Kora

Kora

Who are you? No, the right question should be where do you belong?

My mother always said, there are only three kinds of people walking on this earth, the one percent, the one percent of the one percent and the rest of the ninety nine percent. It's cool to be one of the ninety nine percent, best bet is, you're really poor or you just escaped the hard life of poverty a little bit, or you could actually be poor and just acting rich, if you're a part of the one percent, chances are you're really rich, you're part of the elites of your society, you could be considered for an invitation to popular events and you could have your face on billboards and magazines here and there, but the one percent of the one percent, if you're a part of this group, you rule the world. You practically have the world revolving around your little finger, anything you want, anything you really want, can be yours when you snap your fingers, but I don't believe in any of those things.

Hi, My name is Kora, Kora Obidi, I'm seventeen years old, and I believe that there's only so much money can buy. I really don't mind if I'm among the ninety nine percent or one percent, all I want, all I really want is to be happy, to be at peace forever and money doesn't always make provisions for stuff like that.

I live with my Mum and her new husband, emphasis on new and no, this is not my story, I mean it kind of is, but not all of it. There are a lot of other people in this story, people like me, people with stories similar to mine, people that just want to be seen, to be really seen. We are all connected, each of us, owners of our own stories, victims in our own stories. I know the world tells you that when you have so much money, or you're born into a family with so much money and affluence, ninety nine percent of your problems automatically goes away but trust me, having so much money is ninety nine percent of every rich individual's problems.

Where I'm from, we don't do much, all we do is relax and let the grown ups do all the work. We are just rich kids with our own problems but we mask it up so we don't look like it. We hide our feelings and fears in designer outfits, luxury cars, rich parties, expensive vacations and all that. We were thought to believe that we ruled the world, that we are the future of the one percent or the one percent of the one percent. You'd get to to see some of us in the news and on Instagram if you're lucky while some of us just prefer staying low key for several reasons, like mine, people like me and my Mum.

I waited patiently in the football field for him,

Thirty minutes.

It had only been thirty minutes since I got my letter from the National Arts University, NAUN for short, oh and don't worry about what the last N stands for, it's completely useless. I still could not believe those people actually screwed me over, again. I could still remember how much I had cried the moment I opened the letter and my tears had brought me to the middle of the almost empty football field where I hopelessly sat in the grass with my twenty-one k fashion nova Jeans, waiting for him, waiting to see him.