Chapter 43

Kora

Kora

I walked outside, through the back door. For a building not too big on the inside, they sure had a really huge backyard, so it was really hard to keep your eyes focused on a particular spot. I slowly turned to the section where the half washed cooking tools were.

"I got you something."

I heard voices from behind the small wall. I moved closer, so I could have a look at who it was. It was definitely a voice I could remember.

"Why are you here?" That was my nana's voice. I could see her standing right in front of someone else. I could recognize her from behind even with my eyes closed, so I knew she was the one.  But who was she talking to?

"Didn't I tell you? Didn't I ask you never to come here again? Never to look for me again?"

"I just wanted to see you. Can't I even see you? Am I not allowed to see you, even if it's for a minute?"

"See me for what?" She asked him. "There's nothing to see me for. We have nothing to talk about."

"Can you just-" he paused . That sounded a whole lot like someone I knew. I could feel it. "Can you just listen to me for once?"

Nanny stepped out of the way a little bit. I could tell she was frustrated, with the way she kept rubbing her temples.

I held my breath when I saw him. Why was Jeremiah there?
Why was he talking to my nanny, like he knew her?

"I've had enough. I've had enough of all of this." She told him. "You need to leave." She pushed him. "Leave!" She pushed him again even harder. "Go home! Go back to your family! You shouldn't be here." She tried to pull him, but he didn't want to go. He was holding back intentionally. "Can't you hear me?"

"Can you just stop?"

What was going on?

"I said leave!" She pushed him again. This time even harder, till he dropped the shopping bag in his hands from all that pressure.

"I don't care about this." She turned to the shopping bag, and then kicked it out of her sight, till the black box in it flew out and then flew open. I could see the gold necklace shine so bright in the sun. "I don't want gifts from you, I don't want anything from you." Nanny was breathing fast now. "All I want you to do is to leave me alone!"

"Stop."
I could see the look of despair on Jeremiah's face. He looked so sad, so upset like he wanted to cry, but was holding himself back.

She glared at him.

"I don't care about you. I don't care about your stupid gifts, don't you understand?"

"Mum!" Jeremiah yelled, glaring at her, and from the moment those words escaped from his mouth, an awkward silence followed.