Chapter 51

Kora

Kora

I let out an exhale, trying so hard to take my eyes away from the stage. I'd have felt better if I didn't look. If I didn't see how perfect they were, Jeremiah and Oma. I wanted to not look so badly, but I couldn't help myself. I took a handful of my dress and squeezed it, cornering my attention on my hands, and shutting my eyes for a second.

"They are so perfect." The ladies on our table wouldn't stop talking about how perfect they were, standing close to each other and holding hands. It was their engagement party after all, and everyone seemed to be so interested in whatever it was Jeremiah's father was saying on the microphone. Not like I was concentrating on his long speech that was probably about how close both families were, and how he couldn't wait for the merge. I raised my head back to the stage, to where Jeremiah was standing.

His frown made me remember, remember how much he hated this engagement. He looked so exhausted. Like he didn't want to be on that stage, but had no choice. He looked a bit miserable, and I couldn't help but feel sad for him. Oma on the other hand, she wasn't even trying to hide her excitement. Anyone could see she wanted the engagement more than him. She held on tightly to his hand, and tried to exchange glances and smiles with him. She was so happy. Everyone was right, they looked so perfect together. Everyone loved them together, including the press that occupied a quarter portion of the hall, taking pictures and covering the entire event. I mean who would not want to cover the news of Jeremiah and Oma's engagement? The great merge between two of the most powerful families in the continent.

I took a deep breath.

For some reason I didn't know of, there was this sadness I felt in my heart. More like an emptiness, and it somehow tripled anytime I looked at that stage. What was I thinking? What was wrong with me? Why was I feeling this way?

I felt my mum's warm hands slowly engulf mine, I lowered my gaze to our hands. Somehow, I felt a little bit relieved when she started to rub mine. She could sense it. She could see exactly how sad I was. I sniffed, and then managed to look up.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────