Chapter 110

Jeremiah

"Welcome home sir."
I was in a good mood. I had been in a good mood for quite a while ever since my life started to get good again. It would have been better if Kora and I had just finished the movie together but I understood why she had to leave. I had only come back home after forcing myself to see the end of the movie and then went for coffee with Kingsley so we could just talk about random stuff since I wasn't exactly ready to go home yet but then Mum called, Kora was home with my Dad and it made me wonder why. She never mentioned coming to my house all the time we were together, had Dad called her?

Kora made me understand that Lunch with Father had gone well, maybe he had called her to stop by for lunch with her Mum or something, who knows? But still, Kora would have told me. Mum said she didn't know why Kora was there and with her mum as a matter of fact, so it was safe to come to the conclusion that she wasn't there for lunch.

"Mum." I noticed how my mum was pacing a few inches from the door leading into my father's study, wringing her fingers around each other. I could see how nervous she was. Mum rose her head to mine the moment I started to walk to her.

"Jerry." She reached for my hands when I got close and then drew a deep breath. I turned to the door, it was still shut, did it mean Kora was still inside? I turned back to my mum.

"Mum, what's wrong?" I asked her. "Is Kora still in?"
She nodded.

"I'm worried." My Mum told me "I think something is going on."

I heard a creaking sound and I turned to the door the moment it opened, letting go of my mum's hands as Lilian walked out first and Kora next. Mum was right, it looked like something was wrong. Whatever it was they had come for, it obviously wasn't a friendly visit. There was something about their moods, her mood, Kora's. She had her gaze buried into the ground as she walked out and then the door closed right behind them. Something wasn't right.

"Jeremiah," at least aunty Lilian recognized my presence. I watched Kora slowly raise her head to where I stood and it was then that I saw it, her eyes, surprise and the sadness in them, coupled with the tears that made them glossy. Had she been crying? Kora looked away a few seconds after our eyes met. She was fine a few hours ago, what had happened to her after she left the cinema?

Kora slowly lowered her gaze to her wrist. She was hesitating. Why? I turned to aunt Lilian,

"Is anything the matter?" She let out a weak exhale. It looked like none of them were going to say anything to me. I noticed how Kora started to walk to me, taking out our couple bracelet from her wrist. Why was she doing that?

"Hey," I told her when she got closer. "Are you okay?" I was really concerned and worried at this point. I needed her to talk to me. Why had she just walk out of my father's study looking the way she did? Kora slowly reached for my hand, taking a shaky breath and I let her, slowly lowering my eyes to my palms when I felt something cold in it. It was the bracelet. She was returning it back to me and then she wrapped my fingers around it. I rose my eyes to her, now I was scared. She sniffed, still trying to avoid eye contact.

"Let's end it." She said after a few seconds. "It was good while it lasted, let's break up."

Huh?

What was she talking about? Why was she saying all those things? I rose my head to aunty Lilian again, hoping someone just explained what was going on to me because I was having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I turned back to Kora when I found out no one was going to tell me anything.

"W-why?" My voice was literally trembling. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." She said. "I'm just tired and I don't feel like dating you anymore. I've been going through a lot and I need some time for myself. I don't think I want to be in a relationship with you anymore."