Chapter 80

Lady K

Lady K

The office felt so cold. You could see the curtains move slowly with the wind from the air conditioner. She was really nervous. It had been thirteen years. Thirteen years since she last saw him, thirteen years since she was sitting across the seat he sat in, with her hands shaking uncontrollably on her thighs and tears lingering in her eyes, threatening to fall just like she was doing at that moment. She had been sitting down in the same position for the past five minutes, trying to figure out how to start. How to really ask for his help while the chubby man in a black suit and perfectly carved beards with a few white hair strands in front of her, kept staring at her. He gave her time. He gave her time to get herself together.

Lilian took a deep breath, slowly taking her eyes off the name glass on the table with the words "Barrister Fredrick Boyle. Truth law firm." She raised her eyes to him. If the tears were going to fall anyway, that was the right time. She had barely even touched the cup of coffee in front of her.

"I need your help." She told him. He listened, not even bothering to interrupt her. "I know I promised that I wasn't  going to show myself in front of you thirteen years ago but I-" she paused and then swallowed hard, her voice was shaking. "We need your help."

He exhaled.

"It's Kora." She continued. "She is in a fix. Some drugs were found in her possession at school."

"What kind of drugs?" He asked her.

"Cocaine and Nicotine."

He exhaled. She could see how disappointed he suddenly became.

"But she didn't do it." She said in Kora's defense. "You know the kind of a person she is. Kora has never owned those kinds of drugs in her life let alone used them. Someone in her school is trying to frame her and somehow, the NDLEA got involved. I thought I could do it on my own. I thought I could help her on my own but I can't do anything. My hands are tied. I'm scared and I'm about to lose my mind. You're the only one that I could think of. The only one I knew that is capable of helping us."

She held her breath for a second and then slowly went on her knees. At that point, she had no shame left, at that point, saving her daughter was all that mattered to her. Helping her daughter.

"Please." She looked at him. "I beg you to help us." A drop of tear fell from her eyes and then another one. "That school is her only chance. She's not that bright and so she'd have a hard time schooling somewhere else, and if something like this gets on her record, she would never be able to graduate from NAUN or any other school. It could ruin her life. I can't let her end up like me. I can't let her future be like mine. You're the only one I can run to. You're the only one that knows who she really is, you're the only one that cares about her besides me." She sniffed and then cleaned her eyes.

"You were his best friend and his lawyer. It means you know all the people he knew. You have his connections. You can help us. Help me and I promise I'd never show my face in front of you again. I'd take her and we'd disappear just like we did eighteen years ago. We won't ask for anything else. I'd never tell her who she really is. I'd never tell her who her father is. I won't tell her she's a Richards. I won't tell her anything. I'd keep my mouth about her real identity shut just as I've always done."