Chapter 104

Kora

Tight corners.

This means to be in a difficult situation. A situation where you might or might not just be able to get yourself out of. You're standing between two roads in your imagination and you just don't know which road to choose because both roads might be good for you but one road would be better. Most times, the better road is kind of tough to go through. You start to feel your palms sweating as your lungs feel like they are about to collapse inside of you. You want to breathe, you're supposed to, you know how to but you just can't and if you're lucky, you won't get to witness the awkward silence that came with it. I wasn't lucky because the silence was what was driving me insane.

Here I was, in a room where I barely knew anyone sitting around that huge table, besides my mother. There was a big man in a suit and round glasses at the head of the table and he kept staring at this file in front of him. Mum said he was Mr Richard's lawyer—my father's lawyer. If you turned around to the other side of the table, you'd see how Oma and her mother sat frozen in their seats with their eyes laced with obvious disgust at me and my mother. With the way they looked at me, I could already guess they knew the truth. The lawyer must have told them before he invited them over. I didn't want to imagine the look on Oma's face when she found out we had a connection that the same blood flowing through our veins. I knew she was in no way going to accept the news, going to accept me as her sister and with the way she looked at me, with the way those huge eye bags adorned her eyes, it looked like she had been crying ever since.

Twenty first of September. It had been exactly five days.

Five days since I got to find out the truth about who I was. The truth about my identity. It was also my birthday and the day my father's will was supposed to be read to all of us. I didn't know much and this came as a surprise to me just as it must have come as a surprise to the other members of my father's family but my mum told me some days ago about how important it was for me to be here today and here I was. Not to sound too ambitious but this was my family, this was my Dad too and I deserved to be here. I deserved to know if he ever thought of me. If he ever felt sorry for abandoning me and I didn't care how Oma and her mother were going to interpret that.

"What are they doing here?"
I heard Oma's voice after a few seconds of not saying anything at all, her eyes still glued on me like lasers were about to pop out. Her mother turned to the lawyer.

"I thought this meeting was supposed to be with me and Oma alone?" She asked him. "You didn't tell us that my husband's illegitimate family would be joining us."

He rose his head slowly to look at her and then exhaled.

"Amanda, your husband wanted both his daughters to be here today. It was what he instructed. He also instructed that his will be read today which is also Kora's eighteenth birthday. Now both Kora and Oma are of age for whatever responsibilities that would come after today."

Oma scoffed.

"Both his daughters?" She rose a brow at me. "Who said that girl is my father's daughter? A DNA test that was probably forged doesn't prove anything. She can't be my father's daughter. I'm the only daughter my father had. I can never accept her as my sister, no, I won't. I can't."

"Doesn't look like you have a choice." My mother said from beside me, coming quick to my defense. "The lab results said it all, you also ran your own separate tests so you know that we aren't lying. Kora is Richard's daughter and she deserves to be here just like you."

"This is all your fault." Oma glared at my Mum. "You caused this. If only you hadn't seduced my Dad in the past, none of this would have been happening to me right now. If only you had kept your legs closed-"