Chapter 81

Lady K

Lady K

Obianuju took a deep breath, squeezing on tightly to her tiny purse, fear laced with guilt in every corner of her eyes.

It had been over an hour. An hour Forty minutes to be exact, since Emmanuel had told her about what had happened to Jeremiah. The normal her would have not come at all. It always worked the other times he was sick. She'd kneel in front of her Bible and pray, sometimes, she didn't eat for days until she got a call that he was fine, but that was before she didn't meet him, before they didn't get to bond the way they did.

This time was different. This time, she might have been the one to send her son to his grave with her own hands. The guilt, fear and confusion she felt was eating through her, and so she couldn't stay home. She rushed out of her house and jumped in the first cab she could find, her hands trembling like they were doing now. She made sure she was the first to get there. She wanted to see for herself, to see how bad it was. This time she was going to be there for him, she wasn't going to leave until he opened his eyes. She was going to be the first person he saw when he opened his eyes. But when was that going to be though? He was still in the operating room.

She knew she was the only one that could run all the way for him, that was probably why Manny reached out to her when he did. She was well aware of Christian's feelings for him. There was no way in hell he was going to be at the hospital, let alone wait till the surgery was over. Susan basically didn't care about him, and that meant she had the power to hold back information from her children so they didn't show up too, Benjamin on the other hand was currently in Ghana for a meeting, a meeting that he was said to have canceled the moment the news got to him. According to Emmanuel, he was on his way back to the country on a private plane. She was basically all Jeremiah had at that moment.

She let out a frustrated exhale.

How could she have been so stupid? So thoughtless? How could she have let him talk her into stitching him up without seeing a proper doctor first? It wasn't worth it. It wasn't worth the feeling of hurt and frustration she was going through at that moment. What was going to happen when everyone found out she was the reason he was rushed into an operating room? What would happen if anything ever happened to him? She was trembling. She couldn't lose him. She exhaled again, shaking her head slowly. It was getting really hard to breathe. She felt a hand slowly reach for hers. She slowly turned to Natalie who had been sitting beside her, waiting patiently all along. Natalie had managed to remain calm. It was useless if they were both trembling at once. Someone needed to comfort the other, and Natalie always knew how to be calm, even in the midst of a storm. It was her charm. She could see the tears in Uju's eyes. She squeezed on tightly to her hands.

"You don't have to worry." She told her. "I'm sure he's going to be fine."

Uju wanted to believe her. She really did, but she couldn't smile the way Natalie did. She was suddenly bad at faking emotions at that point. It was really hard, especially since her son was battling with his life at that moment. The last time she had ever felt that way was when he got into that accident in the states. She had hoped and prayed nothing like that ever happened to him again. Little did she know she was going to hurt him with her own hands.