Chapter 32

Jeremiah

Jeremiah

I sat straight, fanning myself uneasily, with the neck of my skye blue Versace turtle neck sweatshirt. I could have sworn the morning was so cold. How on earth did the weather switch up on me so fast?

I turned open the cap of my plastic water bottle, and took a quick drink, my eyes, focused on the football field from the bleachers. NAUN had one of the biggest fields I had ever seen. You'd think it was an actual national stadium. Too bad I didn't play anymore, but watching all those people play reminded me so much of how it used to be, when I loved being in the field, before the accident. A lot had changed since, after the accident. I had stopped doing a whole lot of things I loved to do.

"Hey brother."
I didn't even get to turn before I felt a hard bump on the seat beside mine, and then Kingsley's scent came next. I just knew he had to be the one sitting right beside me. I let out a frustrated sigh when I felt his arm wrap around my neck. How on earth did he never get tired of following me around like a damn lost boy? If he wasn't, I was.

Ever since we were kids, Kingsley had always had this fantasy in his head that we were really close. More like best friends, and it all started after I stopped a group of boys from bullying him back in primary school. You see, Kingsley used to be bullied a lot when we were growing up. It was how he met Oma too. Since that happened, Kingsley had always stuck by my side as a friend would. Only difference was, I didn't think we were close enough to be best of friends.

Yes, he told everyone we were besties, he hung around with me so many times, and flew all the way to the states unexpectedly to chill. Even though half the time I had always found an excuse not to see him, he never stopped. Kingsley had my back on so many occasions, including finding me a private investigator to help me find the woman I had spent years trying to find, the same woman that had brought Kora and I together, without asking who it was, who she was,  he even picked me up from the airport as planned, before my father's men got to me first. Somehow, he was the only person I knew to call, whenever I had a need, or something I needed to do in secret. I was beginning to feel like I had taken advantage of him one time too many, and he seemed to be okay with it. Anything to just be a friend. My friend.

"Take your hands off." I told him, my eyes still glued to the half empty field.

"Okay." He gave me a soft pat on my shoulder, and took his hand away from me as fast as he could. Just like everyone else, Kingsley knew I hated being touched without consent, but that wasn't the only thing he knew. He knew almost everything about me. The food I liked, the food I hated, the food I was allergic to, he knew my best color, the names of all my crushes, teachers, lecturers. Average people would call him obsessed with me, but I just thought Kingsley had a problem, more like a phobia for being alone.

Kingsley's story was nothing like mine. He was from a rich home, never came face to face with poverty, and had about five older brothers he didn't always talk to. Being the last child of his parents, his mother had died shortly after he was born, leaving him alone in a family of just men. Men trained in a military home. Unlike all his brothers, Kingsley hated the military. He hated the use of force and demand of respect. He was just an easy going guy. That was why he was here, NAUN. Unlike all his older brothers, Kingsley fought his Dad against going to military school. It took a long while to gain his father's consent, and even caused him his relationship with his father too. Kingsley chose NAUN, to be away from his excessively authoritative father.