Chapter 26

Kora

Kora

"Hold still."

I heard her wince sharply, pushing her face back a little bit the moment the wet cotton wool came in contact with the bruise beneath her left eye. It wasn't me, but I could tell that must have hurt a lot. I had not only volunteered to take this complete stranger to her room, but I was trying to clean her wounds too. Anything to stay away from thinking about what had happened earlier. For some reason, I was scared to walk out of that door. I was scared to leave that room, because I didn't want to see him again. To see them again. Not like they would still be lingering around, but I just - I was really scared to let them see me like that.

"I wonder what you did for you go get beat up like this." Now I was starting a conversation to make myself feel better. Pretending like I didn't just see my ex-boyfriend, and stepsister holding hands and walking down the hallway like a perfect couple.

"You're new here." She told me. "You obviously don't know anything yet. You should really not have come here. This place is hell. There's nothing sane about this school."

I drew my eyes to hers. I needed to look through her. To understand what she meant. She swallowed and then exhaled.

"I was given a black card last week."

"A black card? What's that? An invitation to some kind of club?" I dabbed the cotton wool again on her bruise.

"A declaration of punishment." She enlightened me. "Getting a black card in NAUN is like getting a long week of what just happened to me today. When a student gets a black card, it means that student is an enemy of Seven's pack, and that means he or she is an enemy of the school."

What a weird excuse for just being hungry to hit and bully someone. I found my hand weakening as I slowly brought it down from her face.

"Seven's pack?"

"Mnnn." She nodded. "It's a group of NAUN bullies. Seven, the scary girl you saw earlier,"

"The weird looking one with a lot of piercings?"

She nodded.

"She's the leader. She calls all the shots, and if she gives you a black card, nothing can save you. Not even this school's authorities. She gets to choose the punishments, and how long it'd last for. If you're lucky, it'd just last one week, if you're not, it could last for a month, or even for an entire year."

I held my breath. I couldn't believe any of it.

"W-that's crazy." I said "How can one student have so much power to make rules like that in this country, and no one is doing anything about it? Not even the authorities?"

"Nah." She shook her head. "Seven's father is one of the biggest funders of NAUN. He owns the largest shares. He practically owns this school. The authorities are willing to let it slide. They can't really do anything about it."