Chapter 93

Jeremiah

Jeremiah

"Jidenna."

I moaned and turned to the other side of my face until the voice called me again. It was followed by a soft tap on my shoulder. I opened my eyes slowly and my mother's face was the first I saw. She had a bright smile on her face as she kept staring at me, encouraging me to sit up straight.

I could feel a crack on the mid section of my back when I took her advice and basked in the relief that came right after. I had been in that position for over an hour, sitting on a chair with my head close to my father's legs beside his bed. I had gotten so tired from babysitting that I had no idea when I fell asleep.

Ever since I was able to get my father out of the hospital and into the apartment he was being attended to, I knew I had to take responsibility for him. I had to take turns to look after him since mum couldn't do it on her own. It was hard enough that I had brought her there and asked her to help me despite everything that had happened.

I had no idea what I was doing. I was doing a bad job taking care of myself, I wasn't sure I had what it took to take care of someone else.

"Mum," I rubbed my forehead and stretched my really cramped arms, drawing a deep breath. "I'm sorry, I had no idea I had fallen asleep."

It was my turn to watch him the entire night so my mum could get some rest from watching him the whole day.

"It's okay." The smile on her face made everything better. She didn't look mad at all. She looked like she had spent the whole night baby sitting the both of us. I returned her smile, trying to make it as sincere as possible. I slowly turned back to the bed. There was no improvement, he still hadn't even moved a finger. I left my gaze on his oxygen mask which occupied the better part of his face. I wiped my face with my hands.

"Jidenna?" I turned to my mum the moment she called my name. "You should go home and rest, I'd take care of everything from here. It's been two days since you went home, you've not even been to school. I'm sure your mother would be worried about you."

I could be gone for a year and I'm pretty sure Susan would be the last person to notice or care. She was everything but my mother and I was happy that way but my mum was right. The past two days for me had been really rough. I missed my life outside the walls of that house, not like there was much to miss, but I was all he had left. I was the only person that cared for him at that point. I just wanted to help him even though I knew I shouldn't have, I didn't have to. Even though every part of me hated him for what he did to me, to all of us, a part of me just didn't want to give up on him yet, a part of me wanted to give him one more benefit of a doubt, just one more. I clicked my tongue.

"Mum-" I slowly reached for her hands. "Mum I'm sorry I'm making you do this." I told her. "I know how much you've been running from this, from him. How he has treated you before but still you're trying to look after him now for me. I know it's too much even for you and I'm sorry."