Chapter 53

Kora

Kora

"Good morning, mum." I walked into the kitchen as fast as I could, still struggling to put on my jean jacket. It was seven-thirty in the morning, and I could not believe how early it was, and how late I was going to be for my first class for the day. I could see my mum stare at me from the top of her glasses, as I hurried to pick a toast from one of the plates. I took a big bite, and turned to my baby brother.

"Morning Michael." I leaned closer to Michael and gave him a kiss on his forehead, while he cooed . My mum still had her eyes glued on me, and I still pretended like I didn't know why. I was ready. Dressed for school. The whole family had come home together after the gala last night, and Peter had suggested Racheal and I spent the night, since we couldn't really go back to NAUN that late. Racheal was long gone by the time I woke up. Guess she hated being in that house just as much as I did.

I clapped my hands to dust off the bread crumbs on it.

"W-where are you going?" There was a slight confusion in the tone of my mother's voice. Where else would I be going to, around seven AM in the morning?

"Where else?" I asked her. "School of course."

"School?" She was surprised. "Kora, are you sure you should go to school after-"

I turned to look at her. She paused, holding back her words. She winced.

"I don't think it's a good time for you to go anywhere."

"Why not?" I let out a tiny scoff. "Why can't I go to school?"

"Haven't you seen the news this morning? Kora, news about what happened last night is everywhere. Everyone is asking who the mysterious girl from the gala is."

"So?" I asked her. "What does that have to do with me?"

Now I was just going to feign ignorance. I was just going to act like nothing happened the night before, because that was the only way I could convince myself that nothing really happened. It was the only way I could prevent myself from going completely insane. I had barely slept the whole night, thinking about the rest of my life, and trying to make myself believe that last night didn't have to change anything, unless I wanted it to. None of it mattered.

"I had to spend the whole of last night, trying to stop your step father from losing his mind. Benjamin is never going to work with him after this. He's getting a lot of phone calls and mails as it is. Everyone is trying to find out what's going on, if the rumors are true. They are saying Jeremiah called off his engagement because of you. A lot of people aren't taking it likely, especially people that are directly affected by this. People belonging to Jeremiah and Oma's fan clubs, they are calling you out everywhere, on twitter, Instagram, I even heard they are setting up group chats on WhatsApp too. Your safety isn't even assured at this point. I can't even face my friends at this rate."