Chapter 85

Kora

Kora

"Make it public."

Those were the last and only words I could remember from two days ago. The exact words I told Jeremiah right before I gave him back his phone. I took a deep breath, grabbing on tight to both arms of my backpack. I had barely had enough sleep in two days and I barely only managed to leave the house with all the press and media that made sure to surround our house as early as five AM since the news got out. Sometimes they left really late at night and sometimes, they didn't leave at all. My phone was still blowing up from a lot of interview requests so much so that I had to leave it at home. My story had gained a lot of attention from the entire country in just one night and I wasn't sure how to feel about all the attention I was getting. I had received a call from the dean of student affairs and was asked to come in today. According to him, the real culprits of the drug incident I was framed for had been caught. Call it luck or Grace but my life was almost starting to feel better again. Like I could breathe. I wasn't suspended from NAUN anymore and the entire internet had a lot of curses and ill words for the Orjis, for Charles and his parents. I could barely imagine what they were going through at that point.

Here I was, standing in front of that tall building that led into the hallway, wondering if I was really ready to walk in. The staring didn't look like it was ever going to end. Right from the moment I stepped out of the car till that moment, I was getting double the attention I used to. Everyone must have heard Charles' confession and they were sure talking about it. I just didn't know if it was a good thing. I was nervous. Really nervous to get in.

At that point, I wasn't sure I could handle all the attention. I wasn't sure I could do it anymore. I wasn't sure I was ready to see the look in everyone's eyes whenever I walked into a hall or a lecture room or one of the cafeterias and coffee shops. I was trying so hard to hide the fact that every inch of my body was trembling. I was so scared to even check my phone. I really wasn't sure if I wanted to know what everyone was saying about me. Their eyes and the way they looked at me already told me what I needed to know. Some felt pity for me, some looked like they were proud for me and it looked like a very few of them were still finding it hard to believe me.

I exhaled.
Maybe coming back to school so soon was not a good idea after all. I never listened to my mum. It was something I had to learn to do sometimes. I lowered my gaze. I wasn't ready. Maybe everyone still needed some time to get used to the story and I needed some time too. I raised my head a little bit.

Courage Kora, cour-

I froze the moment I felt a hand slowly cover mine. I turned to my hand as I felt the warmth in each finger as it slid and locked itself in mine, taking mine completely. I froze because I knew exactly whose hand it was and who owned the cologne scent that had caught my attention. I raised my head so I could meet Jeremiah's. He had a stern look on his face and had his eyes focused on the building. I was literally looking up so I could see him. He was so tall that he almost had me standing on my toes. From that angle, I could see the perfection of his jaw line. How beautifully carved it was and how every part of his face complemented it. The sun was shining down on him. He was literally glittering in the sun and then he did what I waited for; he slowly turned to me, narrowing his gaze on mine. I swallowed hard the moment I looked into his bright brown eyes. A smile found its way on his perky lips.