Chapter 99

Kora

Kora

I took a deep breath immediately the engine started and the car took off after I got down from it, saying a short prayer in my head that my mum was out grocery shopping like she always was every Saturday afternoon. That was the only reason I was able to ask the driver that had dropped me to stop me in front of our house. I knew I wasn't going to risk it if Mum was home. The front gate opened after I had knocked and I walked inside. It was barely five PM and I could already write a full note on how crazy my day went. It was legit insane. I could hear tiny whispers as I walked up the stairs and headed to my room. Something was wrong, something was weird. My door was open.

My door was never open especially when I was not inside. I had made sure I closed it before I left the house that morning but then, it was open. It made me walk slowly to it, wondering who could be inside.

"Aunty Veronica?" I came to a pause the moment I entered into my room and saw the really Chubby woman sitting in my bed with her eyes on the window.

My Aunty Veronica.

The chubby and older version of my mother. My mother's only sister and sibling. A lot of years had passed since I saw her but we always talked on video call so I was able to recognize her. I had no idea she had come over to visit but most importantly, I couldn't understand why she was in my room. She slowly turned to look at me, a wide smile appearing on her face as I watched my step while I walked to her too.

"Kora," she gasped. "My baby, look at you." She pulled me into her embrace and hugged me hard, tapping my back loudly. "Oh my goodness, you've grown so well from the last time I saw you."

"What are you doing here Aunty Veronica? I thought you weren't visiting until Christmas?" I managed to smile so it didn't feel weird at all.

"Oh, don't mind me. I'm only here for a few days to deliver a special message from your grandmother to your mother."

My grandmother? A special message? What was so special that she couldn't talk on the phone? Not that I could blame her. My grandmother and my mother weren't really fond of each other. They weren't best of friends. My mother never talked about her or let me see her. I didn't even know she was alive until last year when my aunty told me and it had caused a huge rift between her and my mother. They didn't talk for months. My mother never really told me why she ran from so many people in her past. Why she wanted to disassociate herself from all of them so badly. I wouldn't have known about my aunty Veronica if she hadn't reached out to me first on Facebook and I intentionally didn't tell mum I did until after seven months because I knew exactly how she was going to feel about it. My aunty squeezed my hands. She looked really happy to see me.

"Where have you been Kora?"

I froze.

I slowly turned to the window where my mum stood, staring at me. I had barely even noticed she was there. OMG! My mum was there! She hadn't gone grocery shopping today, she was standing right there. Did she know? Had she seen me get out of that car from the window? I could see the stern look she gave me. She was upset, really upset.