Chapter 98

Two hours before the vote

Kora

"Good morning Nanny," I greeted as loud as I could when I popped my head into the room. I could hear the tapping sound of water from the bathroom so, besides the fact that the maid had told me the moment I walked into the house, I knew my Nanny was inside, taking a bath. The water stopped.

"Kora? Kora is that you?" Her voice echoed from inside the bathroom. I chuckled softly. I mean, who else would it be?

"Yes Nanny, it's Kora." I yelled. "And don't worry, I have no classes today plus, my mum knows I'm here." Just in case she tried to ask because I knew she was going to. I had lied. My mum had no idea I was there. Even if it was a Saturday, I had lied to my mum that I had pending assignments I had to take care of and that I needed books from our library to do so. That was the only excuse I could give her. If she knew I was there, helping Jeremiah and his family, she was going to freak out. It was a lie that was worth it. I truly had no idea what had come over me, I never saw any reason to lie to my mum about anything in the past and here I was, lying to her, and my nanny.

"Have you had breakfast yet? I made pancakes."

"Yes Nanny, don't worry about it." I told her. "I'd just check on Mr Benjamin."

"Thank you!"

I folded my sleeves one after the other as I approached the room. I got in, it felt so warm and the smell of roses filled the entire room. It made me smile a little bit as I packed my curly hair into a ponytail while I walked to the tiny bedside table. There were a few clothes on it. Nanny must have forgotten to fold them neatly into the laundry bag. I exhaled and got to it, humming Céline Dion's beauty and the beast from where I had stopped when I walked into nanny's room. I had spent the best parts of my night singing it to Micheal and now I couldn't get it out of my head. I sang some parts and hummed the parts I didn't know how. I picked up the tiny pile of clothes and turned to leave when I felt a hand grab on to mine.

I froze.

I could feel my heart racing. I was almost sure that I had closed the door and I didn't hear anyone open it behind me. It only meant one thing. I lowered my gaze so I could see the hand on mine and when I did, I almost lost my breath. I gasped, throwing the clothes on the ground so I could have my hands over my mouth.

"Y-you're-"

I watched him exhale and then let me go. He slowly turned to the needle in his hands and pulled it out like it was nothing. How was he awake and most importantly, acting like nothing happened? He didn't look like it was the first time he was waking up either. He looked...normal.

"What time is it?" He asked me.

I swallowed hard. I was still in so much shock to understand what was going on. He narrowed his gaze on me for a second.