Chapter 100

Lady K

Lady K

It was exactly a minute past ten and Kora wasn't home yet. Lilian had spent an entire three hours searching for her in every place she could think of. Kora didn't have any friends besides Grace and Jeremiah and she didn't know any of their addresses. She found herself back on the porch outside her house, slowly taking out her phone and dialing Kora's number for the umpteenth time.

Still switched off.

She shut her eyes for a short second, saying a short prayer in her head for Kora's safety. She was worried and scared out of her mind and filled with regrets too. She shouldn't have talked to her that way and sent her away. She wished she had kept her anger in check just a little bit. Hurting Kora was the last thing she ever wanted to do but she had let her insecurities get in the way of everything she hoped she would never do or be to her own child. She tried Kora's phone again, still switched off. She let out a frustrated exhale.

Where on earth could she be and why wasn't she home yet?

"If you knew you'd worry this much, you should not have sent her away." She shifted uncontrollably, turning her gaze behind her and following her sister with it as Veronica walked away from the door and to the little stairs. Lilian turned right back to her phone and stared at her screen like she was hoping Kora's name would pop up on it but it never did.

"Oghene." Her sister exclaimed as she sat right beside her. She slowly turned to Lilian who was in no way trying to start up a conversation. She could sense the fear and worry in her eyes and could see how her hands kept trembling as they grabbed on tightly to her phone.

"You shouldn't get worked up like this. I'm sure Kora is safe and she's fine." She had to at least say something to make her calm even if it was just a little bit.

"She never left home like this before." Lilian said. "Not even when I annoyed her, she never left home like this. She never left her phone off either. I know I was too harsh on her but she should have known that I didn't mean any of the things I said. I was just scared and angry, I was just trying to protect her, to protect her from everything."

"And I'm sure Kora knows that too. She knows how much you care about her and that you're just trying to keep her safe but that doesn't change the fact that everything she said was the truth, the truth about how she really felt and how your method of protecting her affects her."

Lilian slowly turned to look at her. She understood but she hoped her sister was a bit more accurate.

"Kome," her sister said after a deep breath. "Kome, Kora is not a child anymore. You should know that she's old enough to protect herself, old enough to know the truth. Everything you've been hiding from her, everything about our past, everything about our family, about her."