Chapter 45

Jeremiah

Jeremiah

I had spent the entire night asking myself the exact same questions, thinking the exact same things, questioning myself, doubting my senses and their functions, questioning my choices.

Was it true? Was Kora really not who she said she was? Who was she, and why did she have to lie? Who on earth have I been talking to the past few months? The Kora on her display picture? Lilian, The married woman, Manny talked about? or the real Kora, her supposed daughter, the one that went to NAUN too?

I took a deep breath, shutting my eyes for a second. Manny's words still echoed clearly in my head over and over again, even as I stood right in front of that really transparent glass, watching all those students from inside the extremely large hall. My attention was focused on the particular student I was interested in. Kora.

The Kora Manny talked about. I could feel my heart race, and my head too, especially since I watched how happy she was, talking to the girl that sat beside her.

How could she be so happy? How could she even smile the way she did, after pretending to be someone else? After cat fishing? After deceiving me?

It all began to make sense now. The way she was always in my face. The way she always looked at me like she knew me. Could Manny's words be true? Was she really the Kora I had been talking to? God.

Thank God for the glasses at NAUN. You could see everything that happened inside the halls, but none of them could see you. I guess that was how the performance and coordination of both the students and lectures during classes was actually evaluated. Anyway it wasn't something old money was used to. Our privacy was ours and no one else's. You wouldn't know what happened within our walls if not for the CCTV cameras everywhere. Same cameras that were all around the school.

I drew a deep breath. I was beginning to get so upset. Really upset, especially since she wouldn't stop giggling. I was- irritated.

The entire hall went completely still when I walked inside, of course it was. It wasn't everytime the rest of the school actually got to see a member of old money walking down the aisle of regular halls, in the middle of a class session, plus, I wasn't just any random member of old money.

Funny how my presence brought about sudden whispers from every row I passed. I had that effect. I could hear people whisper my name behind me, not that I cared though, I just wanted to see for myself, to convince myself that Manny had it all wrong. Kora was real. She wasn't just some fake lady lying to me constantly to get my attention, she was real. I had to prove that to myself. I got to her table, and she didn't even notice me.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────