Chapter 86

Jeremiah

Jeremiah

I had my eyes fixated on the huge wall clock right above the basketball net, my hands on my knees and my fingers wrapped around and pinching each other anxiously. It looked like I had no business at all with what was going on on the court. It was Thursday and it meant that it was activity day. Basket ball was today's theme and for the first time in a long time, we were competing with young money and new young money. Ever since the renovation, old money had mixed a lot with members of other classes and gotten really used to hanging out with them. I on the other hand was only concerned about one thing, one  person, Kora. She was the only reason I was intentionally not on the court with the rest, playing my favorite sport. I was worried about her. It had been over an hour since we separated in the hall. She was supposed to be here just like the rest of her class was. I couldn't help but wonder if she was okay.

Did I have to go find her? What if something was wrong? What if she was being bullied again? I was restless. I knew she was going through a lot and it couldn't stop me from feeling like she was having a hard time going through everything on her own. I wouldn't want to be alone either if I were in her shoes.

Nah. Sitting still and worrying was only making everything worse. I was barely even concentrating on anything at that point. My heart was racing and every second felt so uncomfortable. I wasn't going to keep waiting. I was going to find her. I got up immediately.

"We need to talk."

I stopped myself from bumping right into Oma. I took a second. A second to catch my breath and stop being all hasty. I could see how she glared at me with her hands folded. I could almost guess that whatever it was, had something to do with the current subject trending on campus. It had something to do with me and Kora. I exhaled and then shook my sweaty hands.

"Can we not do this right now?" I asked her. I really wished I had the time to sit and talk about everything but I didn't. I had to find Kora. I knew It was really selfish to ask but I couldn't help myself. I slowly reached for her shoulder. "I promise I'd listen to everything when I'm back." I looked into her eyes hoping she could understand.

I was being a jerk. I know. It's all I've ever been to Oma but it wasn't something I had control of just like i didn't this moment. She slapped my hand away from her shoulder.

"Aren't you going to stop?!" She raised her voice at me. She was loud. I had never heard her yell so loudly before and trust me, everyone heard it too. In a second, no one was interested in playing basketball anymore. I knew it when the ball stopped bouncing and the entire room got really quiet. They were watching us and I was watching Oma. She had tears in her eyes. I exhaled. Now I was in a situation.

I exhaled.

"Oma," I tried to reach for her arm again but she pushed herself back.

"I've had enough of this. How far are you willing to go with this? Until when are you going to stop? To stop making a fool out of me? Don't you pity me? Don't you have any respect at all for me?!" Her voice was the loudest I had ever heard and even with all that anger, she didn't let a single tear drop fall from her eyes. I looked around for a quick second. Everyone was watching. I slowly turned back to her. "Are you really not going to stop this? Are you really going to let everything go down the drain because of some girl? What about her?! What is it about her that makes you go completely insane?! Until when are you going to stop this madness and respect me and our commitment?!" She pushed me. "Tell me!" She pushed me again,