Chapter 89

Lady k

Lady k.

The harmony of the choir as they rehearsed the "Ave Maria" song right in front of the alter could be heard if you stood outside the hospital's church and it was even more beautiful when you heard it from inside. Like every regular hospital's church, this one was was almost empty.

Kora sat calmly on one of the pews, her eyes focused on the crucifix on the alter and her hands folded on her thighs as she waited for Jeremiah. He had been on the call with his mother for quite a while. Not that she was complaining, it was a good thing he had called her to put her doubts and anxiety to rest. At least now her nanny could at least sleep without worrying so much. She on the other hand, had something to thank God for, he didn't take Jeremiah from her and that was enough reason to be grateful. She exhaled and then rubbed her arms together, she was getting really cold plus, it was almost midnight.

"Hey." She heard Jeremiah call her as he returned to her, she turned to him slowly and let herself smile a bit. A lot of things had happened and it made Kora realize that she didn't need to hide how she felt about him anymore. She was just going to look at him and smile at him from now on. She wasn't going to hold back either. Jeremiah sat beside her.

"Are you sure it's okay for you to be here?" He asked her. "It's almost midnight and your mum could be really worried."

"It's fine." She told him as he pulled out his jacket quickly and then placed it around her shoulders. "I already called to explain the situation. She knows I'm here with you and I'm safe."

Jeremiah forced a small smile on his face and then slowly turned to the alter.

"What did you pray for?"

Kora turned to the alter too. She shrugged her shoulders.

"Everything." She answered. "Nothing in particular."

He exhaled and then rubbed his hands together. She could see how he was fighting himself just so he didn't look so sad in front of her. He was handling everything way better than she had thought he would. She watched him draw a shaky breath and then exhale. He sniffed.

"I was eight you know." His voice was shaky and he still had his eyes glued to the alter. "When I found out my father wasn't dead. When I found out Benjamin Ozor, the man who owned the big house my mother and I worked in, the man that had picked my mother and I from the shabby room we used to sleep in, was my father."

That was the perfect time and place to tell his story. Jeremiah had been through a lot for one day and he just needed to talk to someone, he just needed someone to listen, he needed her to listen. He never really got the chance to tell his story to anyone, he never got the chance to tell anyone who he really was so Kora understood. She wasn't going to interrupt him, she was just going to listen to him, to be there for him.

"My mother always told me that my father lived far away from us and that one day he was going to be back for me, for us. She told me that he had made so much money and so when he came back, we were never going to suffer or live the way we did anymore. I could finally go to school in a uniform and have a pair of new shoes. We could live in a bigger room and not have to worry about mosquitoes or rent or our leaking rooftop. She said I could have my own bicycle so none of the other kids would have to bully me for not owning one anymore, or the landlady cussing my mum for not being able to pay our rent. I had so much faith, so much faith in him, in them."