Chapter 96

Lady K

Lady K

"I don't know anything anymore Emmanuel, I'm just tired of it all."

Christian could hear his own heart beat and echoes of Natalie's really tiny voice from where he stood outside the house, right in front of the opened door. His ears stung from being so sensitive to all the sounds that had come from inside, especially Tiwa Savage's Olorun Mi playing on a really low volume. Who could blame him? He was so drunk almost to the extent of 'hearing smell'. Everything was heightened. If you had thrown a pin to the ground, he'd have probably heard that too.

He had stopped at the bar for a couple more drinks since he left the house and he was just coming back home, drunk to stupor. It was almost midnight.

"I keep calling his phone and I can't seem to reach him."

Natalie's voice became even louder as he climbed the small flight of stairs leading to the front door. He climbed them one after the other, not bothering to look up, his feet dragging his entire body reluctantly into the house, causing the most frustrating sound that alerted Natalie and Emmanuel to his presence. They  were standing right in front of each other, waiting for him all evening.

Emmanuel had rushed to the house almost immediately after the event that had taken place, just after making sure Benjamin was safe. He needed to see Christian, he had to make sure he was okay. He had waited for him just like Natalie.

A relief sigh escaped from his lips as he watched Christian walk into the house and stop right in front of them. He slowly raised his head and when he caught them staring at the mess he had made of himself, he let out a really loud scoff and a smirk followed. He was too drunk to even be bothered by them.

"You see?"

Emmanuel shifted his gaze back to Natalie whose voice was almost trembling with worry and disgust as she demonstrated.

"This is what I have to go through every single day. Exactly what I've been talking about."  She held her breath.  "You need to talk to your friend Emmanuel, just talk to him because I'm not sure how far I can keep doing this." She shrugged her shoulders, pulling the edges of her night robe together. "I just can't." She turned and then walked away as fast as she could.

"Baby," Christian called after her jestfully. "Natalie, my dear wife, Please stay, don't walk away from me." He managed to stagger his way into the house laughing.

Now he was just teasing, Natalie knew better than to take him seriously, he obviously wasn't up to any good. She didn't have the time to entertain his sarcasm so he didn't stop for a second. Emmanuel exhaled softly and then slowly turned to him. It was obvious he was drunk and barely thinking.

"Just how much did you have to drink?" He asked him in the calmest tone ever. Christian turned to him, his laughter fading but the smile on his face remaining.