Chapter 62

Kora

Kora

I stood in front of Grace's door, calling her number again. It kept on ringing, but as always, she didn't take my calls. I exhaled. So far so good, my hands were still trembling. Not as much as they were three hours ago, but I could still feel them tremble. My legs were shaky too. I had almost spent the whole night crying, and I just didn't think I had any tears left. I was too tired, I just needed my best friend. I just needed to talk to someone, so I could forget about how horrible my night was. I tried to push back the tears in my eyes that threatened to fall. If I had to cry, I didn't think I needed to do it outside, right in front of Grace's room, especially since I was not sure she was even inside. I remember she had texted me back yesterday, after I had called her over a hundred times, and she didn't pick, to tell me she was sick and had gone home, but I had no idea why I had found myself in front of her door now. For some reason I just wanted to pretend she was inside. I just wanted to talk to anyone, I needed to distract myself from all the crazies that had happened to me.

I knocked at her door again, holding my breath, even though I knew I was basically wasting my time knocking at the door of an empty room. I exhaled. That was enough. Enough time wasting. I turned to leave, and then I heard a click, and then another one, right before the door opened. I turned quickly. Grace looked so surprised to see me. It was like she didn't even guess the possibility that I was the one outside her room. I thought she wasn't coming back to school until the weekend. How come she was there? I narrowed my gaze to her hands.  Her phone was right in her hands. Had she been intentionally ignoring my calls?

"K-kora." By the way she stammered, I was sure her guilty conscience was stepping in. I forced a smile on my face, pretending not to notice or care. Pretending like I wasn't bothered, or going to ask her questions. The last thing I needed was her getting scared of me.

"Can I come in?" I asked her.

She hesitated for a while. I could notice the frown on her face, as she looked at me for a second, like she was trying to think whether she should let me inside or not.

"Please Grace." I sniffed, still with my smile. "I have no where else to go."

I desperately needed to be around someone.

Three seconds. She looked at me for three extra seconds before she stepped away from the door.

"Sure." She gestured for me to come in. I didn't hesitate. I hurried in as fast as I could, rubbing my arms. It felt so good to be somewhere else that wasn't my room once again. It felt like forever.

"Woah." I was pretending so hard like everything was okay. "It feels like I've not been in here forever." I looked around the room like it was any different from what it used to be. "I must have lost all my memories these past few days. I can't believe how mean you are. I was there for you all the time you had a black card, and you can't even bother to check on me now that I got one."