Chapter 115

Lady K

Extra lessons were over.

You could hear the excitement in the voice of all the students as they walked out of the school's premises and into the fleet of expensive cars parked outside waiting for them, you could feel the excitement in the air, for most students anyway. Some students were really indifferent about going home. For some, there was really nothing to go home to, no one to go home to, it was just back to being alone again in a big house with no one to talk to. Some didn't want to go back home. To them, school was the only place they got to escape their reality of being lonely. People like Kodi.

Somehow, it felt like her world had stopped and the rest of the world had moved on without her. With Nicholas gone, Susan on the run, and Jeremiah God knows where, there was nothing really to be excited about or go home to. Obianuju was trying so hard to keep her warm and make her feel loved but she just couldn't help herself. She missed her family. In as much as Nicholas always got on her nerves and Susan never really paid much attention to her until she was done paying attention to Nick, she still missed them so much. Her father, well let's just say he had other things on his plate to care about anything else, things like finding the brother she helped escape, who happened to have eloped with the love of his life and gone missing for two long days. The entire mansion was in an uproar searching for Jeremiah. Nothing had been the same since he escaped from the house especially since he refused to take his calls when his traditional wedding was in two days. No one had heard a word from him or Kora, not even Lilian or Obianuju. No one had a clue where they were or what it was they were doing. It was like they had completely ceased to exist.

Not that anyone could blame them, things would not have turned out that way, Jeremiah would never have thought of running away if their father hadn't pushed him and treated him like a prisoner for days. None of it would have happened if Benjamin had just listened to him and called off the wedding, if he had just given him and Kora a chance to be together. Somehow, Kodi envied them a lot, she envied what they had for each other. How they always fought for each other and never gave up on each other. It was like her perfect illusion of a perfect romance had become a reality. Her father had become really frustrated and had collapsed more times than she could count because of stress but it didn't stop him from cancelling the wedding plans. Even with everything that had happened he was still being so stubborn about the wedding. He was still making plans for it. No one had the time to even listen or be bothered by her. It was almost like she didn't exist. As always.

"Bye Kodi."
"Bye."

She exchanged smiles with her friends as she watched them hurry to their individual cars sent to pick them up from school. Kodi let out a shaky breath, holding on tightly to the arms of her backpack. She watched as all her classmates got into their cars. She could see how some of them ran into the embrace of their mothers, fathers, older sisters, older brothers, some just walked into the back seats of their cars with a driver waiting for them in it. She rose her wrist to her eyes. Where was hers?

Had they forgotten that her lessons ended by six PM again? Had they forgotten to pick her up from school too?

Her driver was supposed to be there by now. At that rate she was going to end up being the last person to leave the school's premises.

"Bye Kodi."

Kodi forced a smile on her face as she waved to the group of girls that walked past her. Kodi was one of the most popular girls in her school. She was kind and really hard to not love so it was no surprise how everyone noticed her. Plus she had been the talk of the school lately. News about her mother and father's divorce were circulating faster than normal and everyone wouldn't stop talking about the great wedding that was about to happen in two days. Her family was really at the peak of the popularity scale at that point. She checked her wrist watch again as she noticed how some of the cars were already driving away. She was getting really impatient and tired of waiting plus, it was going to get really dark soon. Kodi jumped in fright and turned immediately when she felt a hand grab her arm.