Chapter 31

Kora

Kora

It was a new day, a new week, a bright day. A better day, and as far as I was concerned, I wasn't going to let the days before it define this one. For the first time in a long time, I was happy. Not too much, but I felt less alone. Maybe it was because I had someone that wanted to know me, to listen to me. A new best friend, Grace.

It had barely been a week, but the last weekend had made me realize how much we both clicked. Grace and I, it was like we were the same. We loved the same celebrities, thought the same comedians were boring, we loved the same food, and the same people, and places, gone through similar heartbreaks, and most importantly, she was a marlian. She was a MARLIAN! Talking to Grace the entire night, about almost everything in my life, and watching her just listen made me feel so warm, so loved. I had even forgotten how to cry, or the fact that my day could not have gotten any worse. I told her everything. At least the parts she needed to know. I told her about Luke and Racheal, and Jeremiah of course. Talking about Jeremiah, he was yet another reason why I had a really bright smile on my face. I couldn't remember the details, but I was sure we had spent the entire night talking about things that didn't even matter to him or me. Just talking about a lot of funny and cool things, and most importantly, we had fallen asleep, talking to each other.

It had only been a couple of months, but he had become a really important part of my life, especially since Luke and I broke up. I didn't know what it was about him, but he knew just how to make me forget. How to make me forget about everything, and when I talked to him, nothing else mattered. I could watch the whole school burn and still feel safe when I was with him. That was the energy I felt whenever we talked. Jerry said we click so well because we are almost the same. People with similar stories, broken, even though we didn't really know the details about each other. I didn't even know his last name or where he lived, and I was sure as hell he didn't know mine. That was how we were. We really didn't care about knowing much about our pasts. It felt like he didn't like talking much about his, and I was okay with it because it meant I didn't have to talk about mine, especially since I wasn't the person he thought I was.

I just figured the less we both knew, the better for us, and besides, I knew all I wanted to know anyway. At least the important stuff. What mattered was that we were slowly becoming really close and important to each other, and he was becoming a pillar I could really lean on. He knew how to always make me laugh, and he knew exactly when I needed him. More like he could always feel it, and he never stopped, even though I was a horrible texter sometimes. Anyone would think we were becoming too attached and obsessed with each other, especially since we talked everywhere. In the bathroom, classroom, library, when I'm having breakfast, when he's having gym classes too. We were slowly becoming at the center of each other's worlds, and everyone around me could notice how my phone was always staring at my face, everyone including Grace.

She had always wanted to know who it was that had me smiling, and of course I told her it was him. I just never thought she didn't need to know much. She was surprised how we clicked the way we did without even meeting once. Not like we couldn't. Jerry had proposed we did, once or twice but because of you-know-what, it seemed almost impossible.