Chapter 14

Jeremiah

Jeremiah

I could hear the birds chirping from the big trees that formed a really wide aisle leading to the front door of the mansion. I narrowed my gaze to the left wing of the compound, towards the open area. There they were.

It looked like I wasn't the only one dressed for a morning run. Too bad Christian and Nicholas beat me to it first. I could see how Christian was trying to focus and how Nicholas wasn't letting him. He was saying some words to him, trying to keep a side by side distance between them, but it didn't look like Chris could care less. He just kept running and had his eyes focused in front of him as they ran past the really big garden. I watched Chris stop walking and then turn to glare at him. Finally. I could almost guess he was finally getting irritated by how much our little brother was really pestering him. I reached for the zipper of my orange sweat shirt and pulled it up. I began to find my way towards them. If there was some kind of brotherhood reunion happening that morning, I was sure not trying to miss it.

I could hear Nicholas' voice as I approached them, pretending like I just wanted to jog too. Like I wasn't dying to bond with them. Nicholas was the first to notice me. He froze, tracing my every step towards them, and then Chris traced his gaze to me. I let a smile appear on my face, managing to let it raise my cheeks amidst all the pain I felt from the punch I had received the day before. It was Christian anyway, I couldn't really stay mad at him for so long. I couldn't stay mad at him at all. Christian was someone I loved more than life itself. He was one of the most important persons to me. He was my older brother and my friend, or he used to be my friend. We used to be so close while growing up. Christian was the only reason I never really got to be bullied in my childhood, before I knew who I was, before we both knew who we were, before the truth that tore us apart became known.

We never really talked after I left to the states. Or was it before that. I owed him a lot. So much so that I could let him punch me a thousand times, and it wouldn't be enough to pay my debts, to pay back for what I took from him.

I got closer to them, hearing Christian let out a weak exhale and then put his left AirPod back into his ears. I watched him turn, pretending not to see me. He was going to leave.

"Christian-"

He jogged himself away from us.

What was I expecting? I let out a sigh to show how disappointed I was, turning back to watch him leave. I couldn't blame him. I couldn't blame him if he still couldn't stand me, even after all those years. I couldn't blame him if he still hated me, if he still blamed me for everything that had happened.

"Look who we have here." Nicholas' voice was unbearably loud. "It's the illegitimate bastard, nobody actually cares about."

I slowly shifted my gaze back to the almost six feet tall, almost as tall as me, eighteen year old in front of me, with a clean cut.