632

The Emperor’s Reverse Scale

Feng Yu Heng’s imperial carriage was stopped, and the driver could not stop himself from cursing. Huang Quan quickly stood up and lifted the curtain to look outside. They heard her let out a shocked “ah” sound then turn around and say to Feng Yu Heng: “It’s craftsman Bai.” At the same time, she informed the driver: “It’s someone that we know.”

Feng Yu Heng said at this time: “Quickly invite craftsman Bai into the carriage.” As she spoke, she stood up and personally helped craftsman Bai into the carriage, calling him: “Uncle Bai.”

Craftsman Bai quickly waved his hands, repeatedly saying: “I don’t dare, I don’t dare. This old one will salute imperial daughter.” As he spoke, he moved to kneel.

Feng Yu Heng quickly stopped him and urgently said: “Uncle, there is no need to be so courteous. Just based on the relationship between Fu Rong and me, I should be calling you uncle. Quickly come in and sit.”

Craftsman Bai did not continue to act reserved. Moving into the imperial carriage, he sat to the side and happened to sit across from Wang Chuan and Huang Quan. The carriage then continued forward.

Wang Chuan saw that he was a little bit flustered, and there was a bit of sweat on his forehead. After sitting down, he would occasionally lift the curtain and look out. She could not help but feel curious and asked: “What sort of person is craftsman Bai trying to avoid?” While speaking, she used the teapot that had been prepared for the carriage to pour him a cup of tea.

Craftsman Bai received it and downed it in one gulp before saying: “Not to hide it from imperial daughter, but this old one just received an imperial order saying that imperial daughter invited me to help fix some jewelry, thus I was permitted to leave the palace. This old one has been kept inside the palace for nearly a year. Having finally been let out of the palace, I should have been waiting for imperial daughter at the gate of the palace, but because we did not exit through the same gate, with the workshop being on the opposite side of the inner palace, this old one was thinking of going back to the manor first to see Fu Rong. As a result, I kept feeling as though there was someone following me the entire time. After looking back a few times, I did not see anyone, but that feeling continued to linger. At that time, I happened to see imperial daughter’s imperial carriage. Only then did I summon the courage to stop you.”

“Someone was following?” Feng Yu Heng frowned then raised her voice to call into the air: “Ban Zou, go and take a look.”

She just heard a faint sound that could hardly be noticed and knew that it had to be Ban Zou leaving. Calming herself down, she said to craftsman Bai: “I will naturally investigate this matter. Uncle can feel at ease.”

Craftsman Bai nodded then asked Feng Yu Heng: “I heard that imperial daughter wanted to have this old one help with fixing some accessories?”

Feng Yu Heng recounted what had happened between the Lu family and Phoenix Pavilion from the previous day. Craftsman Bai heard this then snorted coldly, saying: “Since this is for imperial daughter and the Yao family, it should be done, but if it was for the Lu family alone, this old one definitely would not accept this.”

Feng Yu Heng said with a smile: “If it was just for the Lu family, A-Heng would not have brought uncle out of the palace. Of course…” She lowered her voice and said, “Fixing the accessories is merely an excuse. Most importantly, I wanted to bring uncle out of the palace.”

Everyone present was smart. Craftsman Bai had been in the palace for such a long time. There really were jobs that he could not finish and had been forcefully kept there. Although he did not have any clues, he was still able to more or less guess the reason. Hearing Feng Yu Heng speak, his thoughts became even more resolute. But the current imperial carriage was not a great place to talk. Changing the subject, he said to Feng Yu Heng: “The tools for working on accessories are all at my manor. Imperial daughter, do you want me to work from my manor or from Phoenix Pavilion?”