796

Old Eighth’s Sinister Ruthlessness

Feng Yu Heng felt that she herself was not the best at scamming people. Xuan Tian Ming was the one that was truly the expert! Happily handing over the rights to command the imperial guards, he obtained 300 thousand troops. No matter how she thought about it, this was a good deal, but the only thing that caused her to worry was that the imperial guards worked inside the imperial palace. If there were troubles at the border, there would be room to maneuver. Even if cities were snatched, there would be a chance to snatch them back, but once the imperial palace was controlled, the heart of Da Shun’s power would be held captive. This was the equivalent of cutting off a person’s hands and feet but leaving them alive versus having the heart crushed directly causing death. When Feng Yu Heng thought of this, a look of worry appeared on her face.

After the matter was handled, the Emperor finally spoke up to have everyone immediately leave the palace. This included the princes, imperial concubines and the Empress. Nobody was to accompany him. He had drank too much and wanted to go back and sleep.

Zhang Yuan helped the Emperor walk out of the small brush and onto the imperial sedan. Even after being seated on the sedan, the Emperor muttered: “Will A-Heng really not be able to enter the palace in the future? It seemed that We did not promise too firmly. This can be reversed, right?”

Zhang Yuan helplessly told him: “It can’t be reversed. Your Majesty’s agreement was very proper. In the future, imperial daughter will no longer meddle with the affairs of the courts, and she will not enter the palace. Even the Hundred Herb Hall in the city might be closed.” Zhang Yuan began to feel a bit angry, and he could not help but curse: “Really what a group of damn geezers. Why did His Highness the ninth prince not just whip them all to the heavens?”

The Emperor snorted coldly: “Do you think that whipping a group of officials to death is the same thing as whipping an imperial concubine? Whipping an imperial concubine to death is, to put it plainly, a family matter. Whipping an official to death is a country’s matter! Although We favor old ninth, We do not intend to be a bad ruler, and We want even less to have old ninth be called a scoundrel. Forget it, the country will eventually be given to the next generation. Letting them compete a bit is also good. A-Heng is a good child, but since she is engaged to old ninth, this is something that she must endure. On this path, whether it’s stormy or bumpy, they need to experience it all. Only like that can the world be at peace. If they are protected the entire time, and they ascend the throne too easily, perhaps they will not know to cherish it and will not handle it properly. It’s just a pity that A-Heng will no longer be able to enter the palace frequently. We really liked the tea that she sent, as well as those strange and new items. Just accompanying Us for a talk was also quite good.”

Zhang Yuan, however, said: “This servant is not worried about that the most. Imperial daughter will no longer be able to frequently enter the palace to check on Your Majesty’s health, nor will she be able to bring those mystical medicines. If the Hundred Herb Hall in the capital is then closed, if you have a headache or anything like that, you will only be able to go back to drinking those bitter soups. They are bitter, and they are slow, but you know that the medicine passed down by our ancestors work to treat the root of the illness. The problem is that the imperial physicians are too scared to use stronger medicine on you. They’re all just a bunch of mild treatments. Something that could be treated in three days with accurate amounts of medicine would be drawn out to ten days or half a month by those guys. Isn’t that just plain suffering.”

The Emperor also sighed from listening to this. This was not all, as the most troublesome would be old man Yao. He had heard that the Yao family and the Heng girl had reconciled, and now his eighth son had offended her. Based on old man Yao’s temper, he would no longer enter the palace to drink with him. Hah! How could he have forgotten about this earlier. This truly was troublesome. If he had known sooner, he would have just been a bad ruler rather than agree with those damn geezers! He truly had erred!