740

Beginning of Winter

During this morning, nobody in the Lu family was idle. Lu Yan and Ge shi had come up with the idea of making a deal with Feng Yu Heng. As or Lu Song, he had once again requested an audience with Imperial Concubine Yuan Shu.

Unfortunately, he gloomily walked out with a dejected expression. The gloominess in his expression could practically be wrung out with a cloth. Inside the tent, Imperial Concubine Yuan Shu had a sneer on her face, as she said to her servant Yue Xiu: "The Lu family isn't even able to protect its own family's wealth and ranking. With just this bit of ability, they say that they want to support His Highness the Eighth Prince? It's already good enough that they don't drag him down."

Yue Xiu quietly asked her: "Is Imperial Concubine planning to give up on the Lu family?"

Imperial Concubine Yuan Shu said: "It's not this One giving up. Instead, it's their own lack of competence. Time and time again, they've only shown this One that they can fail, and this One has never seen them succeed in anything. How should this One introduce this sort of person to His Highness the Eighth Prince? That is this One's own son. This One can't just watch such a failure appear at his side. But..." She furrowed her brow, "With everything being said, the Yao family's influence is quite large. In any case, Lu Song is still the left prime minister of the court, yet he is being suppressed by the Yao family to the point of not being able to make a recovery?"

Yue Xiu thought for a bit then analyzed: "In truth, Imperial Concubine mentioned it two years earlier. The Yao family being banished to Huang Zhou at that time was not really because of the death of an imperial concubine. This servant thought about it later on, and it's very likely that the death of that imperial concubine was not even related to imperial physician Yao Xian, but it was just an excuse to allow the Yao family to leave. Based on the situation at that time, the Yao family leaving was considered a form of protection. And it's precisely because it was not a true banishment that they lived freely in Huang Zhou and were still able to build on their own power. After a few years, they finished growing. The Lu family naturally would not be able to match up to them."

"That's right!" Imperial Concubine Yuan Shu sighed bitterly and said: "Although I very rarely see the Emperor, I am neither blind nor deaf. The Emperor and that Yao Xian get along extremely well in private. As for the Lu family, they underestimated their opponents by too much, and they also happened to be too weak and too stupid. Their fall to their current state also serves them right. It's just that the root cause of all this is that incident caused by Feng Yu Heng. if this imperial daughter continues to remain, she will end up becoming a great impediment for Mo'er. Yue Xiu, say, should we deliberate over this matter properly?"

Yue Xiu bowed: "Everything will be as Imperial Concubine says."

After dawn passed, the first day of the hunt officially began. The hunting ground had a special viewing platform. The Emperor and the Empress sat in the main seats, while the imperial concubines, princes and imperial family members sat on the two sides. Further below, the officials and their families sat in a giant group, and it was extremely lively.

The Emperor was in a rather good mood. Looking at the hunting ground that he had not seen for a long time then at his sons and subjects, he could not help but get emotional: "If Old Sixth, Old Eighth and Old Ninth were all here, it would be best."

The Empress collaborated with him and said: "The children are all grown, and they need to protect the family and the country. They need to work hard for the country and cannot remain at Your Majesty's side at all times. But Your Majesty can be at ease. The Xuan family's children are all very thoughtful. Although they might be in the border regions, they must be thinking of the capital and thinking about their Father Emperor."