790

Visitor at the Lakeside

The palace banquet to celebrate the new year would always have quite a few fresh things to see. Aside from dancing and music, there was also a magic performance. After the performances in Fei Cui Hall came to an end, the Empress said that a theatre troupe had been prepared and arranged for everyone to head over to Ming Zhi Palace to watch a play.

Speaking of, Feng Yu Heng really had not watched a play in the palace. Or it could be said that after she came to Da Shun, she had not really watched a play. If it was an impression, that would be from when Feng Jin Yuan was still the left prime minister, and Han shi was acting bossy in the Feng manor and had invited a theatre troupe into the manor. But how could that level of troupe be compared to the one used by the imperial family?

Xuan Tian Ge told Feng Yu Heng: “Ming Zhi Palace is the place to watch plays in the palace. Normally speaking, if the play is acted out during the Summer, a temporary stage would be built in the garden, but it’s currently the first month, so having it be acted out in Ming Zhi Palace is perfect. Ming Zhi Palace is a place with a large stage built indoors. Below, there are enough seats for everyone to be seated. Imperial Uncle liked watching plays when he was younger. Back then, he specially found artisans to begin this special construction. Apparently, some special work was done with the walls, such that the sound travels really well. Even if all of the seats are filled, the people furthest back are still able to hear what’s being sung on stage.”

Feng Yu Heng nodded. The ancient era did not have the tools to amplify sound. In order to allow so many people to watch a play, it was a test of the actors’ abilities, and the setting for the play was also very important. Xuan Tian Ge was probably speaking about how it was built like a modern theatre. This sort of setting was naturally something that could occur from the work done with the walls. It was not complicated. In truth, Feng Yu Heng did not enjoy watching plays. After all, having experienced the movies of 21st century, she did not think that these ancient plays were particularly good. But this was arranged by the imperial family, so going to sit for a while was necessary.

The Emperor and the Empress moved first and were followed by the imperial concubines. After that, there was no specified order. The people had drank quite a bit of wine, and this was a happy day. The eldest prince even went to walk with the officials that he was familiar with. People basically just walked with whomever they got along with rather well. As for the madams and young misses, they used this opportunity to take a look at the noble young men and young misses of the palace. From time to time, they would gather together and be critical of certain little things. There were also some that had secretly come up with their own ideas.

Ren Xi Feng and Fung Tian Yu were not in very high spirits. The two were both quite dejected, and Xuan Tian Ge said: “I know why you two can’t get in good spirits. Another year has passed, and the marriage cannot be delayed any further, right? I heard that the door sills for the right prime minister’s manor and General Ping Nan’s manor have been worn down by the matchmakers.”

No matter how noble one’s status, when dealing with the matter of marriage, the rules had to be followed. The profession of matchmaker does not sound too glamorous; however, it was quite a prosperous job. Especially in a place like the capital, providing their services to the noble families, they were very clear on the situations in each large family. Regardless of whether they were male or female, as long as they were not engaged, once they became of age, none could escape their eyes.

Ren Xi Feng and Fung Tian Yu were both of age, and they were from families that were famous in the capital. The business that the matchmakers would receive from them was quite eye-opening. They would practically need to make multiple visits each day, making trips with marriage requests from many different men. In the beginning, the masters and madams of the two manors wanted to keep their daughters around for a bit longer, but after another year passed, General Ping Nan’s madam said that keeping her around like this would eventually cause enmity or something to that effect. Although Ren Xi Feng did not want to get married early, she was helpless against her mother taking the initiative to look around.