782

Fine Wine in Cups of Luminous Jade*

The eighth prince had returned to the capital with 20 carriages. With these words entering Feng Yu Heng’s ears, she had no choice but to think about it a bit. Normally speaking, when a prince that was stationed at the border returned to the capital, unless they had family or would no longer be going back, that was when they would bring a bit more back. Otherwise, they would just bring a few attendants. But attendants and experts would not usually be seated in carriages. They would be riding horses. 20 carriages would be enough to seat a large number of people.

She became interested and began to ponder it. Xuan Tian Ge quietly said to her from the side: “The most common thing heard is that quite a few carriages were brought into the capital, but when he came back, those carriages went straight into the Sheng Palace without being exposed to the outside. But this cannot be considered strange. After all, with it being the new year, those carriages might not be only carrying people. I thought about it, and they should be some nice things that were brought back from the South. The capital is lacking in quite a few places. With some being sent into the palace, and taking a walk outside the palace, quite a few items will be needed.”

Hearing Xuan Tian Ge give such an explanation, Feng Yu Heng felt that this was reasonable, but after some thought, she still believed that it was not that simple. But in what sense it was not that simple she was unable to figure out for the time being. Yet it was at this time that another few madams began to whisper nearby. They were all speaking while covering their mouths, and she could neither hear them nor see them. It was natural that she could not figure out what they were discussing. But while the madams were speaking, they would occasionally look in her direction. Although they were very careful, she still noticed them. Intuition told her that they were definitely speaking about something related to her; however, she did not know if it was just idle gossip from around the capital, or if it was something else.

It was the conversation between the young misses from earlier that was very lively. As they chatted, they had already begun discussing the matter of love. One of them said: “Over the years, His Highness the eighth prince tempering himself on the outside has become even more experienced. His skin has darkened, and there is a bit of stubble.”

Once these words came out, someone immediately teased: “Experience? What experience? You like hearing about that sort of thing? Speak honestly, have you taken an interest in His Highness the eighth prince?”

The girl that had spoken earlier was now blushing furiously. It was clear that they had hit the target, but after being bashful for a bit, she bit her lower lip then helplessly shook her head: “Mother said that the princes have noble statuses, and we could not hope for that. More importantly, the eighth prince’s prospects are immeasurable. If we really did try to seek connections with him, it’s inevitable that something would happen in the future, implicating other family members.”

These words were not said loudly, and Feng Yu Heng had determined what was said by reading their lips. She had a bit of a hard time thinking of what the eighth prince looked like, but nobody in the Xuan family was ugly. This point was guaranteed. The eighth prince was stationed on the border, and it was South. Thinking about it, he would have a bit more ambition. To have so many girls smitten over him was also normal.

That girl’s words caused the other young misses to also sigh, as one of them said: “Not to mention not daring to have any hope for His Highness the eighth prince, but which of the princes do we dare place any hope in? My family said that if I want to live a good life, it would be best to not marry into the imperial family. Although marrying into the imperial family would guarantee wealth and status and help obtain some glory for my family, such lofty positions are fraught with danger. Either way, we are not a poor family, and there is no need for us to strive for greater glory while taking this risk. Staying safe and steady is best.”