644

The Entire Court Provides Donations

Concubine Jing had died. This news caught the Empress a little off guard. Although she had prepared herself mentally that the disturbance at Winter Moon Palace the previous night definitely involved some of the imperial concubines, she never thought that something would happen so quickly.

She asked Fang Yi: “How did she die?”

Fang Yi said: “A palace servant came to report, saying that bed sheets were hung from the roof, and she was hung.”

“Oh?” The Empress thought a bit, “Suicide?” She then thought back to concubine Jing’s actions in front of Winter Moon Palace the previous night. Although she did say some things, it did not stand out too much. Compared to imperial concubine Yuan Shu, it was far too different. Why would the first one to die at this time be concubine Jing?

Just as she was feeling puzzled, another palace servant arrived in the hall to report: “Reporting to your Highness, there is already news from the court. It’s said that the deputy leader of the imperial guards on duty last night has already made a confession. The fire was started by him with the goal of burning imperial concubine Yun to death inside Winter Moon Palace. From there, the inner palace would return to its original state. Even if the Emperor favored another person, the other imperial concubines would at least have a chance to compete, instead of the current situation where… where they are simply waiting to die.”

“Impudent!” The Empress’ nose nearly became crooked from the anger, “A lowly deputy leader of the imperial guards actually wants to concern himself with the matters of the inner palace?”

The palace servant continued: “Responding to your Highness, that deputy leader’s younger sister is concubine Jing. His actions were merely for the sake of providing his younger sister with a better future. But that deputy leader said that concubine Jing did not know about it at all. It was all his own idea.”

Fang Yi’s mind moved then spoke up to say: “With things like this, things have lined up.”

The Empress thought for a bit then nodded, “Over the years, because of the matters in the inner palace, the Emperor promoted a number of people related to the imperial concubines to appease them. This One was able to remember what people got what jobs at first, but as the years passed, this One did not continue to pay too much attention to that. Thinking about it now, it seemed that concubine Jing had an elder brother that was working in the imperial palace. Forget it!” She sighed then said: “Since that deputy leader has confessed, this crime will definitely not allow him to live. Concubine Jing has already died from hanging. This case should be considered as having been solved.” She said this then waved her hand, dismissing the palace servant.

Fang Yi waited until the servant had left before saying: “Has your Highness decided to settle it like this? Can his Majesty be satisfied with just that?”

The Empress knew that she would ask this and could not help but smile bitterly and say: “Whether or not he can be satisfied will depend on himself. This matter made it clear that concubine Jing had been used by someone, and she would rather admit her guilt by dying than expose the culprit. This makes it clear that she did this to relieve the other party of guilt. However, who knew that both were thinking the same thing. In the end, neither was able to save the other.”

“Then does your Highness believe that the person that instigated all of this was…”

“You must keep a close eye on imperial concubine Yuan Shu today. Report any of her movement immediately.” The Empress said this with a cold expression. She was not a fool. The rights and wrong committed in the palace could be ignored, but there was not a single one that could escape her notice. The troubling matter was that imperial concubine Yuan Shu was the birth mother of the eighth prince. This matter would need to be suppressed for the time being. At least, she had to endure until the eighth prince returned to the capital. She would see what the situation was before making a final decision.