688

Mid-Autumn Festival’s Banquet

Ever since Lu Yao married into the family, Feng Yu Heng did not go over the Yao family’s side very often. If there was a matter, she would have Yao Xian come out on his own to discuss it. Put plainly, no matter how good the Yao family was, her only connection to them was seeing them a few times. There was no true support of being related. With Lu Yao’s matter added on top, it left both sides feeling awkward when meeting, thus it was better to not meet.

But today, Xu shi stood there and waved to her. To act as though she did not see would be a little hard to do. Feng Yu Heng could only take a few steps in the direction of the Yao manor. Just as she began to move, Xu shi quickly rushed over toward her. There was a servant behind her, carrying a pile of things in her hands.

Feng Yu Heng invited Xu shi into the manor and went straight to the main hall. After being seated and having tea brought up, Xu shi finally said: “I wanted to come over first thing in the morning, but I heard the guards say that palace princess Wu Yang and her friends were currently in the manor as guests, thus I thought that it would not be good to interrupt and went back to wait for a bit.” She continued to look at Feng Yu Heng with affection. In addition to the former warmth and intimacy in her gaze, there was a bit of shame.

Feng Yu Heng saw her like this and sighed, taking the initiative to comfort her: “If aunty is like this because of the matter with eldest cousin’s wedding, there is no need. I never took it to heart. I can’t allow for our familiarity as family to disappear because of Lu Yao alone.”

“Hah! A-Heng is right.” Xu shi turned away and wiped away a tear. Only then did she sigh: “Speaking of, ever since Lu Yao married into the manor, you have never come to visit, and I am feeling saddened by it. Your other two aunts are always advising me to come and visit more often, but I keep feeling that I owe you. No matter what, I could not put aside my pride. A-Heng, if aunty knew that Lu family’s person would deliberately cause trouble, this wedding would have been canceled, even if I had to fall out with Shu’er.”

What she was talking about was the Lu family’s people framing Feng Yu Heng for murder; however, Feng Yu Heng did not wish to bring this up any further, only saying: “Regardless of the case, A-Heng is of the younger generation. Neglecting to come and visit is my mistake. How could I trouble aunty with coming to see me. The matter of that day has already passed. Let’s not bring it up again. As long as eldest cousin is able to live happily, and that matter is not twisted.” She paused for a moment then asked something that she had been worrying about: “That Lu Yao, has she caused any trouble in the manor?”

Xu shi thought for a bit then said: “Nothing major, she can be considered quite obedient. She is able to pay respects on time every day. When your grandfather is in, she will go to his side first to ask how he is before coming to see me. If your grandfather is not in, she will occasionally come and eat breakfast with me. Just a few days ago, I heard about her being unable to find a jade bracelet. She caused a fuss, saying that it was taken by a servant, and she beat the servants in the courtyard; however, it was found in one of her own boxes. She said that she misremembered, but it’s a pity for those servants in her courtyard. They were all beaten until they could not stand up. A-Heng, you don’t know this, but the Yao family does not have a custom of beating its servants as punishment. Even if there are bad servants, they would just be chased out of the manor. Over the past few years, father has been saying that everyone is equal. Even if someone committed a crime, they would be handled by the government, rather than be punished by their so-called masters. I never thought that Lu Yao would act so viciously despite looking so young and frail.”

Feng Yu Heng noticed the helpless dissatisfaction that Xu shi had toward Lu Yao, and she could not help but smile bitterly, “From one family to another family, adapting is not something that can be done in a short period of time. In this world, there is no family that teaches its children in the same way that the Yao family does. Aunty should not treat it too seriously. Give her a bit more time. Perhaps in half a year, she will be able to get used to the Yao family.”