To be loved

Barry and iris adopt twins. Don and Dawn. Barry tried to
Get close with them but the reason why they don't reciprocate is heart breaking.

The westallens were unsuccessful in the pregnant department. They've tried and tried but nothing seemed to work. Iris thought it was her and that she was the problem but they didn't really know the problem. Barry just wanted her to know that none of it was hers or his fault. It's life.

So after a few months of going to therapy and getting more in tune with themselves and their feelings, they decided to adopt.

They adopted twins. A boy named Don and a girl named Dawn. Barry loved their names, he thought it was adorable. Iris did too. They came form a healthy mother who passed away after she had them and their aunt put them in the adoption center.

Barry and iris wanted to start a new life fresh with the 5 year olds.

They met the kids while at the adoption center and had a sit down with them and the care giver.

When Iris saw the kids, she was automatically attached. And they were too.

When Barry saw them they looked nervous. They always glanced up at him with frightened eyes. And right when he tried to smile at them they'd bow their head down and look at their lap.

He didn't take it personally because he was a stranger to them and it's not easy being friendly with a man than it is with a woman.

When they brought them home, the kids didn't speak. At all. Just nodded and shook their heads for about a month.

But the first person they'd talked to was Iris. Barry was jealous, but didn't show it.

——

One day Barry was on the kitchen washing dishes when he heard little footsteps come into the kitchen and the stool push out.

"Hi Dawn." Barry smiled and walked over and leaned on the counter to see her.

"Hi Barry." She said shyly as she dug her head in her book.

Barry. Oh that name. Why did his kids call him Barry and iris mommy?

"What you reading?" Barry asked curiously to get her to open up.

"It's called the princess and the pea." She said nervously playing the pages.

"Oh that's a classic. That was your mom's favorite play and story." Barry smiled.

"I like it too." Dawn  smiled slightly.

Barry saw dawns water glass at the edge of the island and feared it would fall. That was until she accidentally slipped her book out her hands and the glass fell and shattered on the wood floor.

"Crap! Dammit." Barry muttered the last part as dawn shook and froze in her spot.

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!" She said quickly before he could say anything.

"Ugh." Barry muttered as he kneeled on the ground to see the shards.

"I'm sorry Barry!" She cried literally as she ran away with her book and hid until the table.

He heard her sobbing from under the table. He walked over to her and bent down as best as he could to get in.

"Its Okay." Barry put his hand on dawns wrist.

She started suddenly crying harder and quickly snatched the hand away.

"D-Dawn I Said it's okay, sweetheart. It's just a glass." Barry smiled and tried to reach out to her.

"Please don't hurt me! I'm so sorry." She cried.

"Dawn, why would I hurt you?" Barry asked as she calmed down.

"You're not gonna hit me? But I acted up." She sniffles.

"Of course not. I'd never hurt you." Barry smiled and pushed her hair out of her eyes.

She was hesitant as his movements and stood silently.

"Dawn, did someone hurt you before?" Barry asked seriously.

"My Dad used to when me or don acted badly." She sighed.

"He punched you?" Barry asked.

"Yeah. Until we were 4." She said.

"I'll never ever hurt you. I want you to know that sweetie." Barry slowly took her into his arms and kissed her head.

"Thanks Dad." She smiled.

"Of course." Barry rocked her.