Let's Talk

June 28th (Olivia's Perspective)
"Hey bud, how was it?"
"It was great." She got in the back seat and stared ahead.
"Where's Leia?"
"At home already."
"Mom?"
"Yes, my love?"
"Can I talk to you about something when we get home?"
"Of course as always sweetheart. Why do you sound so shaky?" She was playing with her fingers and getting really shy. Is this some sort of a confession?
"No reason."
"I'll trust you. Did you eat?"
"Yes. I'm not hungry." I pulled up to the car garage across the street from our townhouse and parked.
"Home sweet home."
"Kinda." We crossed the street and Bella ran upstairs to her room as soon as we got inside.
"Honey, do you still want to talk?"
"Yeah!" I gave Leia and Noah a hug before going to Bella's room.
"What do you wanna talk about?"
"I wanted to talk to you about a boy...or more like two boys." I smiled happily and looked at my daughter.
"Okay, What is it?"
"I wanted to tell you that I like Brayden." I laughed silently and put my arm around my daughter.
"Really sweetheart?"
"Yeah, for real."
"Is this your first?" She gave me a nod and I pulled her into a hug.
"Wow. I'm so happy for you." I've always known in the back of my head that she liked someone, but I couldn't tell if it was Axel or Brayden.
"You are?"
"Yes, I've realized that you were having a little crush. And it's normal to have crushes on people, so it isn't anything for me to be upset about. These kinds of things should be positive moments." Bella giggled and I smiled. My baby!
"What do you like about him?"
"Mom that's weird."
"I won't tell anyone."
"Pinky swear?"
"Pinky swear."
"Well, I just think he's cute."
"Nothing about his personality?"
"Well, he's funny and cute I don't know what else to say." I laughed and Bella held my hand.
"Mom, I was wondering if I could hang out with Brayden in a couple of days from now."
"Where? Are you going with an adult?"
"We were thinking M and M world. Please, Mom?"
"Well, I can't just simply let you go without an adult."
"His Dad will take us."
"Okay, let me speak to him." I have no problem with letting Bella hang out with her friend. There just has to be an adult present and her and I both know that.
"Here's his number Mom. I promise that I'll be respectful."
"I know you will, it's just that I'm very protective over you. I need to meet the parents."
"They're not bad people Mom."
"I'm not saying they are. Honey, it's okay don't be so on edge. It's okay."
"I'm not on edge."
"Your shoulders are up to your ears Bella. Relax." I placed her shoulders down and patted her softly.
"You really want to hang out with him don't you?"
"Yeah, I really want to."
"You know, before I even think about letting you go we need to talk over some things. But we'll talk about them later tonight, I'm going to go start dinner, do you want to help me?"
"Sure!" I put my arm around Bella and she gave me a big smile.
"After dinner can I tell you more.?"
"Yes, honey." My little girl is growing up, now she isn't shy to talk about boys with me. I used to poke fun at her about it but I didn't really expect her to actually approach me about it. I think she's really brave for that and I admire her for that.
*************
The Next Day (Bella's Perspective)
Mom and I never got to talk last night because Leia wasn't behaving herself. Which was super duper weird because Leia usually is a good girl. But last night she wasn't.

"I don't wanna go to bed! I hate bed! No, no, no! I don't want to go to bed!"
"Leia, you don't have a choice let's go right now."
"Stupid idiot."
"What?"
"Stupid idiot nincompoop."
"Do not say any of those words again you hear me?! You're in trouble little lady."
"Idiot."
And now Leia's in punishment for a while. If only she had listened to Mom. However, I'd get to talk to Mom more today because we were finally going to Long Island. I couldn't wait for a dip in our pool. I made up my bed really nicely today and went straight to shower. I put on a bikini under my top and shorts to make my life easier. When I was done I went downstairs to go and eat something.
"Hi, weirdo."
"Hey. Wanna pancake?"
"You cook?"
"Alright, I know you're known for your little cooking skills but I can too a bit. Pancakes aren't hard." He put one on my plate and it wasn't burnt or anything. It was kind of weird to see Noah cooking because if you really knew him, you'd know he's too lazy for that.
"Are you kissing up to Mom?"
"Why do you say that?"
"Because you're too lazy to cook."
"I'm not, I just don't want to be selfish. Mom is already not feeling good. She'd come and yell."
"What's wrong with Mom?"
"Leia pushed her last night after you went to bed. Like how I had pushed her when I was angry with her that one time."
"Ohh! Back when you were like 5?"
"Yeah, She's really bummed about it. I hope she still isn't upset this morning." I helped him finish up and washed the dishes.
"Noah, What do you want for-" Mom looked at the nook in the kitchen and gave us both a hug.
"Who did the cooking?"
"Mainly Noah."
"Thanks. You guys didn't have to." Leia walked into the kitchen with her kitty and Mom looked at her.
"Leia, good morning." She ran out and Mom looked really sad.
"It's okay Mom. I'll talk to her."
"Bella, no. It isn't fair to you. Yesterday we were supposed to have our bonding time. I'll make it up to you today I promise." Mom left and Noah sighed.
"Well, your plan worked. It's Leia. Leia's mad at her."
"But why?"
"Noah, she's 5. She's probably mad at something that Mom said to her. That's how little kids are."
*************
My Room (Leia's Perspective)
"Leia, that was not nice! We don't do those things when we're upset. It's very impolite to not say good morning to someone." I sat in my corner and Mommy sat next to me.
"What's wrong honey darling? Tell me why you've been unhappy."
"No."
"Why? Is it tricky to explain."
"Yes and I don't want to tell you."
"Why?"
"Hey, Mom, when are we leaving?"
"In about half an hour sweetheart. You're all showered up?"
"Yeah. I'll go now." Bella left and I was really sad still.
"Leia, why don't you wanna tell me?"
"Because then it'll not be happy."
"What won't be happy?"
"Me."
"You know Leia, if you keep it a secret it'll eat at you like a little monster and eventually, one day you'll get super angry and let it all out. If you tell me now, you won't have to get super angry." We sat on my bed and I said it.
"I'm angry because of yesterday."
"What about it?"
"I want to be a big kid and you treat me like I'm a little baby. I don't like it! Bella and Noah get to stay up!"
"Leia, you're a little girl sweetheart. Little girls and boys need a lot of sleep so they can grow up to be big and strong like Bella and Noah. So it means you have to go to bed really early."
"But Noah and Bella stay up all night!"
"They don't honey. Even when you're a big girl you still have a bedtime."
"They have one?"
"Mhm. Just like you."
"I'm sorry Mommy!" I gave her a hug and she smiled.
"That's my girl. But look at me. You're still on punishment because that behavior is not okay. No iPads and No TV all weekend. Hear me?"
"But-"
"No buts. Go out your shoes in so we can get ready to go."
"Fine."
****************
The Hammock (Olivia's Perspective)
Here we were in Long Island. Leia was napping upstairs, Noah was playing video games, and my daughter Bella was laying down in the hammock with me watching the clouds pass by. Bella day up to fix her hair and looked at me for a moment.
"What did you wanna tell me?"
"I wanted to tell you that you are allowed to go to M and M world with Brayden." She got extremely excited and hugged me.
"I can't wait."
"I wanted to discuss some things with you."
"What?"
"When you go to M and M world-"
"Mom, I know the manner things already."
"I know you do. Just listen to me please."
"What is it?"
"When you go places with them next week I want you guys to be respectful towards each other and not use this as an opportunity to something that you have no right doing at 11 years old."
"12."
"You still have 5 months to go young lady."
"But Mom, how am I even gonna do those things with adults present."
"Your generation is smart. But I'm just telling you to not do anything crazy. We understand each other?"
"Totally."
"Alright, Love you, sweetheart."
"Love you too! I'm going to take a dip and a flip into the pool!" My sweetheart.