Offically Thirteen

Saturday, December 14th (8:55 AM) (Olivia's Perspective)
Bella's birthday was tomorrow. I didn't know how to feel. My baby girl is growing up so fast. I can't believe it.
3 Years Ago
"This feels kind of weird Mommy." I adjusted the strap on her new training bra.
"It looks really cute. It fits you well." She sighed.
"I guess so." I thought Bella would be more excited. The concept of growing up seemed to make her really excited, she said that she couldn't wait to be a young woman.
"Is something bugging you?"
"Yeah."
"What is it?"
"I don't know if I wanna grow up anymore." I comforted her.
"Because then you're gonna die." She cried.
"I'm not going to die."
"Yes you are, everything dies after a while." She wiped her eyes.
"I'm not dying anytime soon."
"But you can't promise." She's right.
"Bella, it's okay sweet angel. It's okay. You don't have to worry about that. I'm alive and well, so is your brother, Elliot, all of your friends. Don't worry. Alright?"
"Okay." She put her shirt on.
"Training bras feel kinda weird. Like not free."
"Real bras feel the same way."
"That's why you take 'em off at night?" She asked curiously.
"How do you know about that?"
"Because I saw you. You took it off through your shirt." We both laughed.
"I guess we both just like a bit of freedom don't we?"

"Earth to Mom?" Bella stood in front of me with a smile.
"Sorry. What is it?"
"I'm so excited! The new season of my show came out! I'm gonna go watch it all!"
"All of this for a show. What is it? We should watch it together."
"I don't think you're gonna like it.."
"Why not?" She shrugged before walking away. Bella's having a bit of an awkward phase. It happens, she tends to get shy and nervous around Elliot and I a lot and hold back a lot of info. But it's a part of growing up. A part that I didn't see happening this darn quickly. It's like the last 8 years passed so quickly.
"Mommy! What's for breakfast? I'm a bit hungry."
"You're always hungry Leia."
"I know! What's for breakfast?" She asked with a smile.
"Bagels." Her eyes lit up.
"Bagel Saturday's! Bella, turn on the cartoons!" My 6-year-old jumped around excitedly and we both laughed at the spectacle.
"Hey, Mom?"
"Yes, sweetheart?"
"Is it okay if I hang out with Hannah for a couple of hours?"
"To do what?"
"Walk around, go to the bookstores and chill. I'm not going far. Just a couple of blocks away."
"When are you guys meeting up?"
"For 11."
"You can go. Be back here before dinner."
"Okay! Thanks, Mom!" I smiled as my daughter went upstairs to start getting ready.
*************
Barnes And Noble (Hannah's Perspective)
Usually, when Bella and I just want to chill, we hang out near home. Because you don't have to go all out for quality time. We just go to the bookstore and find things to read and talk. Maybe even get something at the cafe.
"Your birthday's tomorrow! How do you feel?"
"I feel nervous when I really think about it... Other than that I'm cool as can be!" Tomorrow was Bella's birthday and I was happy for her... And excited for her awesome party!
"Don't be nervous eats okay!"
"I don't know. I've been wanting to be thirteen since I was like 8 and now that it's here it feels kinda weird."
"Don't blame you for feeling that way!"
"Hey, let's talk about the thing." We reserve the most special talks for the bookstore.
"So, isn't it weird that we're becoming friends with Alexis?"
"Kinda. She seemed a bit stuck up. Hanging out with her after school was so much more fun than I thought it was."
"So.. Georgie or Alexis?"
"Alexis, she's cooler and we don't have like previous bad history."
"I agree. So..what's up with you and Jake. You guys have been extra lovey-dovey lately."
"No, we have not!"
"Sure...." We both laughed.
"You know, still can't believe to this day that we managed to pull off that entire thing without our parents finding out."
"I'm just surprised that no one snitched on themselves."
"Fair point," I said. Bella our the book she was reading away and tilted her head.
"What are you thinking about?!"
"I'm not thinking about anything. Do you wanna do some shopping?" And like that we were on our way to H & M. I gotta say, I love how spontaneous our trips are. We always have so much fun because we never know what we'll do.
**************
Maria's Mexican Restaurant (Leia's Perspective)
Weekends are my favorite. If I don't have a competition, Mommy and I spend time together. We usually go shopping at the toy store, or we'll go to the trampoline place at our other house. It's a lot of fun.
"What did you think of the movie we saw?"
"It was good! I liked it!"
"What was your favorite part?" I tapped my chin.
"Hmmmm, I think it's when Lia realized she had powers too! She was feeling kind of left out and she felt better after she knew. Do you have a favorite part?"
"I think the ending was the best part." I had some nachos.
"It was a good ending." Mommy smiled.
"Mommy?"
"Yes, pumpkin?"
"I wanna talk to you about something, but I don't know what to say it."
"I get it. Some things are really difficult to explain, and it may be scary, but if you try, maybe I'll understand what you want to tell me. And, if you're worried about me being mad, there's a high chance that I won't be. Okay?" I nodded.
"In class, we were talking about different kinds of races. We talked about Asians and this boy slanted his eyes. Isn't that rude?" I asked.
"Yes. Very rude. That's kind of like making fun of their eyes, which is what you don't do. It's never okay to make fun of any race, doesn't matter if they do it first or if they say something mean. It's never okay." I nodded.
"Bailey got sad. She thought her eyes were ugly. I told her they were pretty."
"Atta girl! I'm so proud of you for being kind." She gave me a kiss. I like talking to Mom.
*************
Sunday, December 15th (Manhattan, New York City) (Bella's Perspective)
I sat up immediately when I woke up. Today I turn 13. Well, not until 11: 20 AM that is! What time is it?
9:45. I felt a bit weird. Today's my 13th birthday.
I went over to my bathroom to look for any changes. Eh, I look the same. I smiled. I took a shower, brushed my teeth, and put my braided hair into a bun. I walked downstairs to the kitchen/dining room, where my family was waiting for me.
"Happy birthday Bella!" Balloons with the number 13 were everywhere to remind me of how old I am.
"Thanks, guys." I couldn't help but smile.
"We made your favorite! Bacon and egg sandwiches."
"Thanks, guys!" I had a lot of presents to open! They were all wrapped in mint green and gray wrapping paper. You know, those were probably the bags of things Mom had in her room that caused her to shoo me away. Hm.
"I cannot believe you're a teenager sweet pea. The other day you started your first day of first grade and now you're on your way to becoming a wonderful young lady!" She smothered me in kisses.
"Mom!"
"Look at the sweet pea. Bella, you've grown so much since I've met you and I'm so proud to have played a part in raising you." Elliot said.
"Aww, how sweet Dad."
"My favorite idiot is finally 13. That took forever."
"You act like you're not just a year older than me." I rolled my eyes.
"Don't care. But, you're a good little sister and you're not a snitch. So you're awesome in my books." I don't mind the rude things Noah says, it's just a part of our humor.
"Bella's the best big sister ever! She always plays with me and talks to me before bed. Now she's gonna be an adult."
"Not any time soon." Mom said.
"She will be an adult in 2 seconds." I smiled.
*****************
My Bathroom (Olivia's Perspective)
Bella's party starts pretty soon (1 PM) and I was just getting her all ready.
"It's been forever since I've done your hair." Bella smiled at me and I grabbed her beautiful braids and put them into a perfect bun.
"Thanks, Mom."
"So Bella, are you excited?"
"Very. I can't wait to hang out with everybody it's been forever. I hope everyone has fun."
"They will. There are so many things for you kids to do. I'm sure it'll be great."
"As long as there's no huge line for the photo booth." We had to laugh. I started doing her makeup and she looked so grown.
"Mom. We gotta talk real quick."
"Hit me."
"I'm kind of nervous about my grandmother coming."
"You are? You never told me."
"I didn't wanna upset anyone and make things weird. I just.. I don't want any drama. I don't want to feel uncomfortable or make my friends feel that way either. If she comes I don't want a spectacle. Please." I could sense tears coming. I paused and pulled up a chair.
"Look at me." She turned. I got a tissue to aid her watery eyes.
"If she starts something, she will be escorted out. I know how hard it is for you, and I'm not letting drama between us ruin your moment. Be happy, I'll handle all of that. Okay?" She nodded. I went into my closet to grab an extra present.
"What's that? I feel spoiled today." She said while looking at her new phone.
"I bought this necklace when you were 11, I just decided to hold onto it until now." It had Bella's name with a heart at the end.
"I got you this because I want you to remember who you are young lady. Bella Benson. Brave, kind, smart, silly, and so, so creative. Don't let anyone change who you are and be true to yourself. Got that?"
"Got it!"
**************
My Thirteenth Birthday Party (223 West 56th Street) (Bella's Perspective)
"Your party is so awesome!" Jake said while stuffing his mouth with food.
"I can tell you're having an amazing time."
"Guys, there's so much to do, I don't even know where to start. What the hell!" Ethan said to us.
"Bella, what do you wanna do?"
"Let's go roller skate!" We grabbed skates from the counter and the disco lights started.
"Watch Leah fall on her ass."
"Omg, I won't! Not this time anyway." Leah's known for being clumsy. Poor thing.
"I'll skate with you, you'll be alright," I said.
"Even better, they have the things you could push!" Elle pointed out. We just couldn't stop laughing once we got in the rink.
"Blake, what are you doing?" He was over here doing full-on turns. I didn't know he could skate that well.
"Skating, what else?"
"Dude looks like a whole ballerina." Kylie laughed.
"I'm thinking after this, we do laser tag. It'd be so flipping cool."
"Yess!"
"Bella, you got a sec?" My Mom yelled.
"Yeah! Coming Mom!" I got out of the rink.
"Look who's here!"
"Alex! Gabby, Gabe! You guys are big jeez!" I gave them hugs first and then went onto Alex.
"Bella, could you stop growing?"
"I've only grown half an inch! I think. But, I thought you were busy."
"Never too busy. What's the deal?"
"Well, there's skating, laser tag, trampolines, foam pits, the whole 9 yards! I was just with my friends skating. We're about to do laser tag."
"Sounds awesome! Happy birthday, babe!"
"Thank you!" My friends and I went off to do some laser tag. I was having the time of my life!
"Okay, boys versus girls obviously."
"We'll be blue and you be red," Penelope said.
"Girls we need to win. I wanna tell my Mom I beat Paxton at something."
"Are twins really this competitive?!" Hilary asked.
"I think it's just a Pais and Pax thing. Let's stop wasting time! Let's go!" The girls and I devised a plan.
"If we distract them we can get them down one by one."
"Totally!"
"Bella!" I heard in a very strong Caribbean tone. She came, didn't she?
"Excuse me, guys."
"Okay! I'll tell the boys you had to step away for a sec." I sighed internally.
"Good Afternoon, Grandma. How are you?"
"I'm good. Happy birthday! You're getting so big." I smiled.
"Thank you."
"I have the most wonderful gift."
"Oh, thank you, you did not have to."
"I got us tickets to go to Trinidad! Toni said you wanted to know more about your culture." What? Who said this was okay? Where's my Mom? I feel so uncomfortable. This isn't right.
"Bella! You ready?" Axel asked.
"Excuse me, I have to go. They've been waiting.." I walked away. Why in the world would Mom allow this?!

To be continued~