Results

August 31st (Bella's Perspective)
Mom was searching through the email and she told me to not watch.
"I'll tell you your results."
"Okay!" I was really excited. What was I made of? Who am I?!
"Okay so I'm going to just say some broad terms like African and European for the overall percentages, then I'll get into the specifics, okay?"
"Uh-huh! I'm ready!"
"Okay, so the results say that you're 51.43 percent European."
"Mom, that's a whole lot of white."
"Bella, this is serious stop trying to make me laugh sweetheart. You sound just like your Uncle Fin." She took a breath and hen continued.
"And 48.57 percent African. Which do you wanna learn more about first?"
"The African."
"It says you're 21.79 percent Eastern African and 26.78 percent broadly Western African."
"Oh so like a bunch of places?"
"Basically."
"Why can't I know the countries?"
"Because not much research has been made in that area." I sighed. I couldn't be bummed. That's how it is. I really wanted to know more about my black side. But, I guess I'll have to wait.
"Onto your European side, you're 12 percent Scandinavian."
"I'm Swedish? How cool!"
"You can be Danish and Finnish too."
"That's amazing!"
"You're also 10 percent Italian."
"Italiano!"
"15.50 percent French and 13.93 percent British."
"So I'm a mix of everything. I'm unique!"
"Yes, you are. Very very unique. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Hear me?"
"Yes, Mom." She gave me a hug and a kiss.
"Now, onto me."
"You?"
"Yeah, I wanted to do it to you know! Let's see."
"You're probably all British."
"I could be." I looked at the computer screen and laughed hard.
"83 percent?! See!"
"There's more to it. Let's see." Mom was also French and Italian. It made her really happy. She loves prosciutto and escargot (yuck!) it's probably her Italian and French sides showing themselves. Who the heck eats snails though? Gross.
"I always knew it!"
"Stop eating snails it's yucky."
"It's actually quite delightful."
"I don't think it is...whatever you say, Mom." I was a bit sad about my results for two reasons. One, it took five weeks to come which marks my summer coming to an end. Two, I still don't feel complete. Something missing. I don't know what it is.
"Bella, you okay there? I lost your for a minute there."
"I'm okay Mom. Just thinking."
"About what?"
"The test. I still don't feel complete. Thanks for doing this for me Mom. I appreciate it. But, something doesn't feel right."
"What is it?"
"I want to know more about my African side. Not just, East African and West African, I wanna know the countries. The tribes. The story behind it. Why does it seem like they care about white people more?" Mom tilted her head.
"You sound like you've had this in your head for a minute. Let's talk about it, sweetheart."
"No, there's nothing you can do to fix it! It'll always be like that because no one cares!"
"Bella, lower your voice. I get that you're angry. I understand, but you're not going to yell at me." My eyes welled with tears and I went upstairs to my room. I felt bad because Mom was trying to make me feel better about myself. Not worse. I thanked her for that. I really did. I just wished that I could've gotten more out of it.
***********
Wednesday, September 1st (Olivia's Perspective)
Things got really heated yesterday with Bella, I knew she was grateful for that DNA test. She was just hoping to know more, and so she reacted the way she did.
"Bella, let's get going." She stretches and looked at her phone.
"It's 10 what are you doing here?"
"I'm not going to work today."
"Why?"
"I'm taking you kids back to school shopping."
"I'm gonna be wearing uniform some of the time though."
"What about the rest of the days? Come on, I'll let you get some shoes too."
"I don't feel very good Mom. It's not you, I'm sorry. I'll get ready in a few minutes."
"I can't trust that. Get up." I said while laughing.
"Why can't I get five more minutes?"
"Because 5 turns into 15. Get moving." She giggled and started to make her bed. She then went into her closet and grabbed a sweater and jeans.
"Okay, I'm going to shower. Mom, you're standing there like a weirdo." She joked.
"Are you trying to watch me shower?!"
"I'm not, but let's not forget that I've given you plenty of baths. I wouldn't be seeing anything I haven't seen before."
"Very funny. Well, as you said. I'm changing."
"You're using my words against me? Someone's acting like a big woman. Is grass growing?" I asked bluntly since I knew she hated the topic.
"Ewww, no!" I laughed my way out of the room and went to go get Leia ready.
"I'm already up!"
"That's good baby! Today, Mommy's going to take you to get some clothes for your school. Isn't that exciting?"
"Yes! I can't wait to get clothes for big kid school."
"That's the attitude!"
"Noah, you're already dressed in thrasher!" Lately, Noah has been experimenting. It's interesting to see his tastes evolve. He's trying skateboarding, much to my dismay, and is clearly having fun. I don't want him around the wrong crowd so I do keep tabs on him. But, he mainly skates with his close friends. So I don't get too concerned.
"Noah, did you brush your hair?"
"No. Didn't feel like it."
"Go brush your hair," Bella said.
"Stop trying to be so big and bad you look stupid." She whispered.
"Bella said a bad word!"
"That's right."
"Go on time out Bella! Those were not nice words." Bella went over playfully. I took Leia downstairs to go put on some shorts and a top.
"Mommy, where's Elliot?"
"He's doing some things that are really important right now." Elliot was in court with Kathy. Kathy doesn't want Eli in this "environment." He's an amazing kid but I have no control over Kathy's wishes. She wants best, and I guess best means Eli not seeing his dad.
"I'm all dressed and ready!"
"Yes, you are! Go upstairs we're going to leave soon sweetheart."
"Okay! Mommy, I'm hungry."
"Ask Noah to give you a Clif bar."
"Yay!" She ran upstairs and I made her bed up quickly. Leia's room is literally the epitome of a little girl's room. With her cute little pictures on the wall and all!
"Mommy, you're taking forever!"
"Coming sweetheart!"
**************
Target (Bella's Perspective)
"My list says that I need 5 notebooks." I chose five of the cutest ones there and then moved on. The list was kind of stupid, to be honest. Like everyone knows these things already.
"Mom, can I get the erasable pens? I make too many mistakes."
"Yes, go and check for them, sweetheart."
"Mommy, do I need pencils for big kid school?"
"Well, yes baby. You're going to be writing."
"Writing? That hurts my fingers. A lot!" I laughed at my little sister and she came to me.
"Bella, I can't wait for big kid school!"
"I can't wait for you to go either. You're going to be so brave, right?"
"Yes, I'm not scared even!"
"That's really good Leia!" I picked up two boxes of mechanical pencils, 2 boxes of erasable pens, a pencil case, and a cute pink calculator for class.
"Mom, I need a graphing calculator. I want to take algebra." Noah said.
"Isn't that high school?"
"Yeah, but I can take the regents now so I don't have to take the class in high school."
"That sounds like a great idea Noah. But those calculators are expensive. If I buy you one, I need you to take good care of it."
"When can I get one?"
"Next year." I sighed and picked up 4 folders. I was basically done with the supplies I needed. Aunty T was buying me a new bag and I was super excited.
"Okay, where are we going now?"
"Let's go to the Nike store. So we can all get new shoes."
"You guys are going to make me broke."
"You can make this money back tomorrow in 2 hours Mom."
"Dang, she schooled you."
"I still have to pay the bills though."
"You'll still make it back though."
"Stop trying to be so smart." She wrapped her arm around my neck playfully.
"That tickles Mom!" I went into the store and looked at the shoes. There were too many options.
***********
The Night Before (Olivia's Perspective
It was the day before the first day of school for all of my children and the vibe across the house was so different. Everyone was realizing how it was the last day of summer.
"I laid out my outfit."
"And I laid out my uniform."
"Sucks to be you."
"You still have to wear one Bella."
"Yeah, just not as often." Leia was excited!
"Mommy, which school am I going to again?"
"Trevor Day."
"I like that name!" The kids were finishing up their dinner.
"It's 6:30. I want you big kids in bed by 8:30. You little missy is going to bed soon. After dinner, you're going to take a bath okay?"
"That's good!"
"Mom, it feels weird. Summer ended really fast. But, it was really fun."
"Yeah, we didn't travel but it was still super good."
"I'm glad you guys had fun this summer. It was a joy spending time with you guys."
"Even when we were fighting?"
"Yes, even when you were fighting." We all laughed and gradually started to clean up.
"Leia, let's go ready for bath time." I took her downstairs and put her into the tub. I washed her hair and she sat extremely still. She didn't converse with me as she usually would. She seemed like she was thinking really hard about something.
"Pumpkin, is something the matter?" She looked up at me and shook her head.
"Are you sure?" She shook her head again and then continued to stare into space. Is she having a flashback?
"Leia, look at me."
"Mommy, the bad guy is in my head!" She didn't cry, which concerned me. She just sat still and stared off into space again. It was just so random. I still can't tell what Leia's trigger is.
"I'm all better."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes, Mommy." She smiled and I kissed her forehead.
"Honey we're going to talk tomorrow. Okay?"
"That's okay, Mommy."
"Good girl." I slid on her pajamas and she started dancing in front of the mirror. Insisting she was a superstar. Can they just stay this cute forever?

🌟She's Special🌟जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें