(Womanly) Shopping

PINK (Bella's Perspective)
"Mom, I really don't want to do this."
"Bella, it'll be alright. Look at all of these cute bras!"
"Stop, this is embarrassing..." I eyed them quietly and my mom called one of the workers. Just kill me now! So I went to get measured and stuff and I learned that I'm a 32A
"What does that mean?"
"It means that the band size is 32 and your cup is an A."
"That's really small isn't it?"
"And it's completely normal for your age. Come, let's see what we can find." Some of them actually look really cute.
"I like this one."
"That's cute, get it." As we walked through the store it got less awkward and Mom let me get a perfume.
"I think you're set for now. And, look at me."
"Yeah?"
"I want you to get all of your training bras and give them to me. Okay?"
"Okay, Mom. Can we get Chipotle please?"
"Yes, when we get back in our area."
"So then can I at least get a snack?"
"You may. What is it?"
"Can we please have churro?!" I was pretty scared that my bra shopping trip would be super awkward but it wasn't actually. I think that I tend to overthink more than necessary. I'm going to work on that.
**********
Mount Sinai Adolescent Center (Olivia's Perspective)
"Hey buttercup, how was your session?"
"It was okay. I didn't really talk about too much." Bella smiled as she held my hand.
"Mom, is it okay if Kylie comes to sleepover?"
"When?"
"This weekend?"
"Elliot and I are going out Saturday. But she can come and have a sleepover Sunday."
"Thank you!"
"I'll tell her Mom when she can come over." Bella sort of fidgeted quickly and I turned around.
"You okay."
"Yeah." Her face got red and she started to whisper.
"It's the bra."
"What about it? Is it itching you?"
"Only a little bit. I'll change when we get home. We're almost there anyway. Why is there construction on our block?"
"Someone's renovating their townhouse. Just like how we renovated ours a while back." Bella stared at her phone and I took it from her swiftly.
"What was that for?"
"You need to be alert when walking the street. You never know what can happen. Like me taking your phone unexpectedly. Don't make yourself prey." I gave it back and she put it in her pocket. She walked over to our home and went inside.
"Hey, don't have an attitude."
"I'm not. Leia was at the door."
"Mommy and Bella are home, Lucy." Elliot would be moving in fully soon and the thought of letting Lucy go loomed. I didn't want to let her go. I'd rather just reduce her hours.
"I'm going to go back to work in 10 minutes. I'm sorry we can't go to Chipotle girls, just go without me guys."
"Okay," I feel bad because the kids are so used to being let down by me. But I just got a text to go back to work.
"Love you!"
"Yeah.." Bella whispered as she went upstairs.
"I love you, Mommy!"
"Love you too Lei."
"Bye-bye!" Bella watched from upstairs in the dining room.
"Are you not going to say bye?"
"Bye." She said calmly. I knew she was upset about me not taking her out for lunch, I feel bad every time I do this. This is my daughter's last year before she becomes a teenager and I want it to be really special.
***********
Sunday (Garden City, New York) (Bella's Perspective)
Kylie came for the sleepover and I was excited. We were in the backyard setting up our tent.
"This is going to be cool!"
"I know! Do you have all of the portables?"
"Duh."
"Elliot, did we do this correctly?!" He came outside and observed the tent.
"You guys did a good job let me just fix this here."
"Thank you." I gave him a hug and he ruffled my hair.
"If I don't come back down, goodnight you two."
"Night," We laid everything into the tent and went inside.
"Well, what do you want to talk about?"
"This summer. It's starting to end."
"Yeah."
"You okay?"
"I remembered that my results are supposed to be back soon."
"Oh yeah, are you worried about it?"
"No, but I'm anxious. Tell me about you."
"Italy was good as usual. I brought you back something but it's at home."
"Thanks."
"Have you ever told Brayden the truth?"
"What truth?"
"Your crush on him silly."
"No, because that's embarrassing."
"I think it's cute. You get embarrassed really easily! It's our job to help you come out of your shell."
"I'm not shy!"
"Well, you're not really shy. We need to help you get out of your embarrassed shell!"
"Trust me, I'm just fine!"
"No, you're not." We both laughed and ate the Chinese food we brought into the tent.
"If you're in me about this embarrassing stuff, who's your crush?"
"I like Tristan."
"Oh yeah! He's cute, and he has good manners."
"Yeah, and I see him a lot. Well, saw."
"I hope I get a good schedule."
"I hope that I have more classes with Tristan."
"Well of course you do!"
"And you're probably hoping for more classes with B."
"No, I don't need classes with him. I sit with him at lunch and he texts me all of the time. I've got it good already. What we need is for you to talk to him."
"I do. You mean more."
"Yes, right on the spot!"
"Well-" My Mom cane in the tent and sat down.
"Mom!"
"I just wanted to know what all the giggles were about."
"We were having a very private discussion, Mom!"
"And I'd love to be a part of the private discussion as well."
"This is why you're so embarrassing. Anyways, Kylie, next year should be an amazing year." We both laughed and my Mom was wondering what was so funny.
"What's the joke you two?"
"What joke?"
"Are you guys talking about someone in particular?"
"Maybe. Maybe not. It depends."
"I know that Bella likes someone. What about you Kylie."
"Oh, Kylie likes Tristan!"
"How nice of you to rat me out! I thought we were all about confidentiality!"
"Not in this case. You see, I was trying to save myself."
"Oh, how kind."
"You guys have such a good bond."
"Yeah, and we don't fight much so it works out."
"I see. But, there's nothing wrong with having fights. Disagreements are healthy."
"We talked about that in class one day. You can't always be so merry."
"The only thing we fight about is who's cuter."
"Harry Styles definitely isn't. That's the end of that conversation!" Mom laughed as we argued.
"Who is this Harry Styles?"
"An ugly singer. Trust me. He's not worth looking at."
**************
Private Discussions (Olivia's Perspective)
Bella has been begging to talk to me this week and I wondered why. Did she have a flashback? Is she hurt? Tired? I'm not sure why I tend to think of the negatives before the positives. As a cop, I tell victims and their families to think positive but it doesn't always go the way I hope. Life can't always be positive, no matter how much I persuade my victims to be. The biggest positive in my life is planning my wedding with Elliot. Something, I'd get into much later.
"What did you want to talk about sweetheart?"
"I wanted to ask you something."
"What?" Her face turned red as a tomato and she felt uncomfortable.
"At my studio someone's pregnant."
"Oh really, that's great. What about it?"
"She's only 13 Mom. That's what." I raised my eyebrow suspiciously. Thirteen? How, why?
"But, I don't think she was raped, Mom."
"W-What makes you say that?"
"She said that she's really happy about her baby and it makes me uncomfortable. She said she's started buying clothes for it. Someone told her to get rid of it." How was my daughter able to hear this conversation???
"Mom, how can you even get pregnant at that age?"
"Mom? What is it?"
"Bella, that is a conversation that we should have at home. In private. Not at Central Park. Okay, sweet pea?"
"Okay. Mom, can I get ice cream?"
"Sure, go ahead." As she ran off to the ice cream lady I wondered. How much am I supposed to tell her? I didn't anticipate having this conversation until she was a teen. More importantly, who was this girl that Vella was talking about?

To be continued~