Kat And I

The Bronx, New York
I looked at the floor and thought about being in my bed with my dog. Why couldn't I be home with my dog?
"Kat?"
"Hm?"
"Mom sent me here to be punished didn't she?"
"She didn't. Why do you ask?"
"Because she made me stay by your house even though Lucy is home with my sister."
"Look at this." It was some texts shared between Mom and Kat.
Olivia Benson: By the way, I was wondering if you could spend the weekend with Bella this week? She seems down and won't talk to me about it, Amanda's visiting family, and I know you guys talk a bit. Can you do me a favor and give her a little girl's weekend?
Kat: I would love too.
I looked back up at Kat and she smiled.
"Not everyone is out to get you, sweetheart, you can trust us."
"I don't know who I can trust half the time."
"What makes you say that?"
"Well for starters, you and Amanda told Mom about Jake, even after you said you wouldn't. That made me lose trust."
"But, you also have to remember that you were caught skipping with him and your other friends. She would've found out either way."
"I guess so." I gave Kat a cuddle and we sat in her living room and talked a lot. I didn't want to talk about anything private right away. I just wanted some regular girl talk.
"Kitty Kat, where are you from?"
"Where I'm from? My parents are Lebanese."
"Lebanon?!"
"Mhm."
"That's so cool! Have you been?!"
"I have when I was younger." She was painting my nails yellow and black, I was feeling adventurous today.
"What's it like?"
"It's so beautiful. So warm. I love it."
"Can you take me there?"
"I'm not sure about that, but we can see. Where are you from Bella Boo."
"I'm a lot of things! I'm African and I'm European but more European than African! I'm French and Italian for starters."
"That's amazing!"
"I dunno, I didn't like being mixed at first."
"Why?"
"Because it was so confusing! Am I white or black?! At school, do I talk to more white kids or black kids? I always talk to more white kids, because that's who's around me, I guess. I don't wanna be rude about it."
"I get what you're saying."
"My friends didn't even know I was mixed until I told them. Except for Hannah! She knew. Kitty Kat, think I should get a boyfriend?"
"What?"
"Why not?!"
"If you ever get a boyfriend Elliot, Liv, and Noah will literally go crazy. They're all so protective of you."
"I don't like it! I wanna be free sometimes. Just run wild!"
"Run wild?"
"Yeah, I feel so held down sometimes, and I just wanna be free and have fun."
"Doing what?"
"Something adventurous, some shopping too, I don't know!" Kat smiled and started to speak.
"We can do some of those things tomorrow. How does that sound?"
"Sounds good!"
**************
Midtown, Manhattan (Kat's Perspective)
"Kitty Kat, thanks for taking me shopping!"
"You're welcome, I had fun. I learned a lot today."
"Didn't you?" We both giggled and crossed the street.
"Mom is going to be interested in these! She said she likes my style!"
"You have amazing style sense, I see why she says that."
"The other day at my therapy session, I told my therapist about Jake and stuff like that."
"How did it go?"
"It was fine, she knows more about this than all of you guys do. She was telling me that it was normal to have all these feelings and stuff, and I managed to get somewhere. That's why I like therapy, I don't get why people get embarrassed, I love it actually." Bella continued to elaborate on some of her experiences and I was just continuously elated. I saw exactly what Liv meant, when Bella is truly happy, the atmosphere completely changes. I was also happy that she was comfortable with me.
"I'm glad that you're feeling a better today. Is there anything that you wanna talk about?"
"No, not really."
"Alright, so where are we going now?"
"I'm not sure! Surprise me! Do something magical!"
"I honestly don't know what to do. Give me a second to think."
***********
Mommy's Bedroom (Leia's Perspective)
Bella was at Kitty Kat's House and Noah and Elliot are having a boys day. So it was just me and my Mommy.
"Leia, look at all of the Barbie dolls. You can choose two to buy, how does that sound?"
"Sounds good." We were ordering it, so it would come to our house!
"Leia, how's school been?"
"Okay, it isn't really my favorite but it's okay."
"Why isn't it your favorite?"
"Because everyone is so annoying and I don't like it."
"You seem agitated."
"Yeah, I'm so annoyed at school."
"Wanna talk about it?"
"No! I don't want to!" I left Mommy's room quickly and went all the way downstairs to the basement! I locked my bedroom door and started to cry. I do not want to talk about school! I will not talk about school! I can not talk about school! Ever!
"Leia, you're so stupid!"
"No, I'm not! Stop that!" Travis pushed me and I got really angry and hot!
"I am going to tell Ms. Sainsbury that you pushed me! That was bullying!"
"No it wasn't, we're just playing!"
"Leia wasn't playing with you poopy head!" Bailey said.
"Yeah, no one wants to play with you!" Barron added.
"Leia, let's go somewhere else, where he can't bother us."
"Where Lily?"
"Leia? Can you unlock the door?"
"No! I don't wanna."
"Okay, well can we talk?"
"No."
"Well, I guess I'm going to eat these chocolates alone."
"I want chocolate." I sat by the door and she slid one under.
"I'll give you some more if you talk to me sweet pea."
"About what?"
"About why you're so angry, baby. All today, you were upset. What's going on?"
"Leia Mae, what's wrong?"
"I need to get away from here!"
"Why?"
"Because I'm not happy!"
"I don't want to." I sniffled and moved away from the door. Mommy came in and sat on my bed.
"Why? Why don't you? Are you afraid that Mommy and El will be mad?"
"No. That's not why I don't even care about you and Daddy Elliot being mad."
"Then what is it? Oh, sweetheart, don't cry, please. Please don't cry."
************
Leia's Room (Olivia's Perspective)
My youngest child cried silently as I held her in my arms. She'd been so upset and unpredictable today. I wondered what was wrong. But, she wouldn't tell me.
"Are you scared of getting in trouble?"
"No, I'm not." I gave her a kiss and looked down. Leia was wearing a neon green tank top and pink shorts, nothing wrong with that, we were inside. But I noticed something that I didn't think should be there.
"Where'd you get that cut on your leg from?" Surely, Lucy would've told me about any boo-boos that Leia acquired, but I did not know the story of this one. And usually, when Leia gets hurt at school, she comes home and tells us. So, this meant something if she hadn't told me.
"I don't have a boo-boo." I touched it and she yelled in pain. There was still some blood oozing out of it.
"Leia, why didn't you tell me? This needs a bandaid."
"It's not a big deal!" I put a bandaid over her cut and watched at my near 6-year-old pouted.
"Don't make me go back to school!"
"But why? School is good for you. You have to learn!"
"I don't like the people there. You're not listening to me!" She whined.
"I'm listening now, baby. Tell me what's wrong. Mija."
"I really don't wanna talk about it."