My Sweet Valentine

Friday, February 12th (The Trinity School) (Dismissal Time) (Bella's Perspective)
"2 more days until Valentine's Day!" Alexis shouted as she put on her sweater.
"Someone's excited!"
"Can't blame her, she has someone to spend it with." Hannah pointed out.
"What about you, Hannah?"
"Knox asked me if I wanted to go to iHOP with him on Sunday."
"Woah, that's awesome!" I said with a smile. I wonder what I'm doing for Valentine's Day. Nobody had asked me to do anything.
"Are you guys ready? It's going to snow and I want to go home."
"Yeah, I'm ready," Paisley said.
"We're going to get hot chocolate. You coming?"
"No thanks." We said. We went downstairs and exited the building.
"Feel a bit lonely too?"
"Kinda. Looks like we're the only ones not doing anything. I think Mom and Dad have a date, Morgan and Noah too. So yup."
"How about we hang out on Valentine's?! Who needs boys. But it's so weird how we're in the same boat. Paxton is going on a date with Georgie, Mom and Dad too."
"Yeah..how about we just watch some Vampire Diaries?"
"Yes! And, we can go out for lunch and do some shopping. Go to Dylan's!"
"A cute girl's day! I love it!" Although I have no plans on the actual day, my friends and I all gave each other Valentine's treats in advance! So, I'd be feeling the spirit all weekend as I snacked away.
"Boys!" I yelled as I watched them talk to each other in the vestibule.
"What's up?!"
"Just wanted to say bye, we're going home." Paisley said. I gave them all a hug and Jake looked at me.
"Bella, I forgot to give you this earlier." It was a bag. I wonder what's in it.
"Ouu, extra treats! Let me see." We were talking to the train station now and I peeked inside.
"Chocolates from Dylan's! Ouu, a teddy bear. It's so cute."
"There's something else!" I grabbed my metro card before digging into the bag.
"What?"
"Film for my Polaroid. This stuff's expensive."
"Jake must really like you." She pointed out. I rolled my eyes playfully.
"On an unrelated note, our train's here!"
****************
The Gallery (Home) (3:45 PM) (Elliot's Perspective)
Leia and I were just arriving home after I got sent home from work for the day.
"Daddy, my friends gave me a lot of things for Valentine's! And I gave them stuff back."
"What did they give you?"
"All of my favorite chocolates!" She smiled wide as I inspected the bag and hung up her jacket.
"This is a lot of candy. You can have a few pieces and then save the rest for later."
"Okay! Daddy, how come you're here today?"
"Daddy's taking a little break from work. Bella?! Noah?! We're home!" Bella came downstairs and smiled.
"Hi, Dad." She came downstairs and hugged me.
"What's the plan for today, your Mom's not coming home any time soon."
"Can we go to Dallas BBQ?!"
"Oh yeah! That place is so good!"
"Plus it's so close! Can we?"
"Only if it's okay with Noah."
"Noah! Do you want to go to Dallas BBQ?!"
"Yeah!" He shouted back.
"Okay, we'll leave later for dinner. Little lady, I believe you need to have a bath since you just had your dance class."
"Okay! I'll take a bath in an hour." Leia showed us her watch.
"I'll even set a timer!" I laughed.
"I guess it's a good thing we gave you that watch. You're more responsible with your time."
"Yep! I'm responsible! Daddy, do you wanna play a game with me?"
"Of course, what game?" Leia brought out Operation.
"It's one of my favorite games!"
***************
Dinner (Dallas BBQ) (73rd Street and 3rd Avenue) (6:45 PM) (Bella's Perspective)
At the moment, we were just talking amongst each other until our food arrived and munching on appetizers.
"What are the plans for this weekend?" I asked as I ate a chicken wing.
"I'm taking your Mom to her favorite restaurant, Noah is having dinner with Morgan."
"I have ballet class and I have Valentine's dinner with my best friends!" Well gee, everyone has something amazing to do.
"What about you, Bell?" Noah asked. I was still mad with him, but I could never stay mad at my brother forever so we were cool, I guess.
"Having a girl's day with Paisley, it should be really fun!"
"What are you girls going to do?" Dad asked.
"We're not exactly sure, we're still figuring it out."
"On girl's day, you're supposed to paint your nails and talk about boys," Leia said cutely.
"Where did you get that from??"
"Tv! That's what they do on tv Daddy!"
"You're too young to know that kind of stuff," Dad said while pinching her nose playfully.
"Noah, where are you taking Morgan?" I asked.
"I'm thinking McDonald's'." Elliot looked at him.
"Noah, you can do better!"
"I'm kidding! I'm taking her to Juniors. She loves their cheesecake." Elliot made a sigh of relief before giving Leia a serving of chicken wings.
"He knows well not to do something as stupid as that. It's like Dad taking Mom to Burger King."
"Yeah, she would not like that!" Leia pointed out.
****************
Saturday, February 13th (10:50 PM) (The Upper East Side) (Jake's Perspective)
"Bye Jake! I have to help my Mom with something. Talk to you later?"
"Totally! Bye Bella!" She waved before hanging up. When she did, I sighed. I realized that I was the only one out of my friends to not be spending Valentine's Day with someone. I really wanted to spend Valentine's Day with Bella, my Mom said I can, my Dad said he'd help me ask her, but I don't know. It's hard asking her. What if she gets scared off by my awkwardness? What if she doesn't like me that much to want to spend Valentine's Day with me? What if she's already doing something with someone? I had so many questions flying around, and I didn't know what to do.
"Hey Jake, you asked her?" My sister, Kenzie, asked.
"No."
"No?!" She sat next to me and looked at my phone.
"What happened?"
"I got kind of scared and I just couldn't bring myself to ask her. What if she thinks I'm weird?"
"If you don't ask her, you'll never know Jake. You only live once! You obviously like her a lot so it's worth a shot, we all get hurt at times by love, but there's so many fish in the sea. And, didn't you say that she liked you? You'll be fine. Take her to a restaurant and treat her for the day. Just do the things that you guys would normally do. You don't have to go over the top." She tapped my back and left my room. Well, I already got permission to go out, all of my friends asked people they liked to hang out on Valentine's. What am I going to do now?
******************
Valentine's Morning (10:04 AM) (Home) (Olivia's Perspective)
"Happy Valentine's Day!" Leia ran to the island and smiled at the gifts on the table.
"There are three baskets! One for me, one for Bella, and one for Noah!" She was delighted at the sight of sweets and toys.
"Thank you, Mommy and Daddy! Look, I got you gifts too!" She gave us both chocolates.
"Thank you! My favorite!" Elliot tickled Leia as he called Bella and Noah down for breakfast.
"El, I smell turkey bacon! Did you make it for me?!"
"I most certainly did!" Bella ran downstairs and gave everyone her gifts.
"Mom, I think you could use the perfume I'm giving you for your date tonight! It's scientifically proven that guys like floral scents!"
"Is that why you're always wearing Lavender and Honey perfume to school?" Elliot asked.
"Dad..no! It's just because it smells nice to me!" We all sat down and decided to eat.
"I can not wait to have Valentine's dinner with my friends! We're gonna wear red, pink, and white! We're gonna look beautiful! Little girls can't go on dates, so we have dinner instead." I looked at Lei and she smiled wide in return.
"I have to start getting ready to hang out with Paisley. We wanted to leave early so that we could get the most out of today! I can't wait! We're going out to lunch and we're going shopping and stuff."
"I thought you'd be doing something with Jake today." Bella shook her head.
"No, he didn't ask me if I wanted to hang out today. I'm assuming he has to do something with his family!" Bella seems a bit hurt by that. Poor girl. Bella likes Jake a lot, so there's no way this couldn't have upset her. And, knowing that all of her friends and their crushes are hanging out today doesn't make it any better.
"Bella, what time are you coming home?"
"I don't know, we're just going with the flow so it could be anytime."
"Anytime before 7:30." She rolled her eyes.
"I know Dad! I'll be here when you guys leave for your big date!"
****************
My Bathroom (11:45 AM) (Bella's Perspective)
I was dressed and ready to rock and roll! I was just putting the finishing touches on my hair with some festive red, white, and pink barrettes. I sprayed some perfume, put on my earrings, and grabbed the boots I was going to wear. I went downstairs with my belongings and texted my friend.
Me: I'm putting on my shoes now! Are you ready too?!
Paisley: Yep! I'm about to leave the house! See you at Barnes and Noble!
"You look gorgeous! Leaving?"
"Yep!" I said to my Mom while putting on my shoes. The doorbell rang and I assumed it was just a package.
"Mama, can you get the door? I'm tying my laces!"
"I'm sorry, I can't honey! I have to take the cake out of the oven! Be a darling and get the package please."
"Sure!" I hopped over to the front door and turned the locks. I opened the door and I was shocked. Confused also, but mainly shocked.
"Jake?!" He had flowers in his hand and a gift bag.
"More gifts? You're too nice you know!"
"Bella wait- I wanted to ask if you wanted to spend Valentine's Day with me." I raised my eyebrows.
"I'd love to! That would be awesome!" I didn't think he'd ask me! This is so nice of him!
"I'm sorry I didn't ask earlier, I thought you'd say no."
"Why would I say no?! I'd love to spend today with you." I giggled.
"But...I was supposed to hang out with Paisley. I'm supposed to meet her right now. I don't want to ditch her."
"It's okay! I texted her! She said the three of us could hang out! I didn't want you to worry." He knew I didn't want her to be alone! He's so sweet!
"Oh! That was nice of you to do! You didn't have to."
"Bella, did you get the package-"
"Oh, Jake! Bella didn't tell me you guys were going on a date today." Mom gave us a smirk.
"Mom! It's not a date, it's a friendly gathering! We're going with Paisley! It just happened last minute!"
"Oh, well alright then! You three have fun! Be home for 7:30! Stay safe you guys and call me if you need it."
"We will Mrs. Stabler! If Bella tries to stay out a minute later I'll tell you!"
"Jake, shut up! Come on, Paisley's waiting! Bye, Mom!"
^^^^^^^^^^^
Tolache (East 82nd Street Btwn. 3rd & Lexington Ave.)
"The guacamole is so good," I commented.
"I don't know, guacamole always looked weird to me. And the texture is weird." Jake commented.
"It's mushy, buts it's good!" We'd spent the last 3 hours walking around and doing random things just because we had money on us! We did half an hour of roller skating, we went to the bookstore, and we went to the pharmacy to pick up a disposable camera so that we could take some crazy pictures.
"Bella, remember when Jake tripped and nearly knocked down the entire shelf of books?!" I laughed.
"He claimed he was trying to show us a trick. Whatever trick it was, he failed! It was so embarrassing to be with him!"
"In my defense...Those books should not have been there!"
"But it's a bookstore, what do you mean?!"
"Today was so much fun. What do you guys want to do next?" I asked while eating a carne asada taco.
"How should do geocaching! You know where you find those little gifts in a random location? We should try and look for some."
"We should also leave a gift of our own like some chocolates or something like that."
"That would be sick. What do you think we'd find?"
"Probably a keychain or a pin! But looking for the exact location is the best part!"
***********
Toscana 49 (Midtown East) (9:45 PM) (Elliot's Perspective)
"Thank you! This looks divine!" I smiled as my wife took a picture of the food.
"Elliot, this restaurant is so cozy! How did you find this place?"
"That's a secret." She rolled her eyes. It's been a moment since I've gotten the chance to really sit down and have alone time with Liv. Between the kids and work it's hard for us to get a moment to just.. breathe.
"Italian cuisine has a special place in my heart. I love it as much as I love you."
"Are you saying that I have food up against me?!"
"Yes, you do. Would you rather it be something else?"
"No, I'll take it. I know how special Italy is to you."
"You know El, it's nice to have dinner without something spilling pasta over themselves or someone fighting because their brother is teasing them. It's just you and I."
"I was about to say the same thing." I stared into her eyes and we shared an instant message with each other.
"I love you so much El, more than you could imagine. I was very pissed with you for leaving without telling me anything, but seeing your smile just made it all go away. You were happy, and that's what's important. Even though I acted mad that day when we met up in the coffee shop, I was relieved that you were alive. And I'm happy that you and I have made so many happy memories since then. Happy Valentine's Day baby. I love you."
"I love you too, and I can't wait to make even more memories with you." I pulled out a piece of paper and handed it to her.
"What?!"
"We're going to Italy for two weeks in July with the kids! It's going to be a blast!"
*******************
Mount Sinai Adolescent Center (Monday, Feb. 15th) (3:45 PM)
"And that's how my Valentine's Day went."
"Sounds like you had a blast!" My therapist said.
"I did. Um, is it okay if I bring up something?"
"Of course! What's up?"
"For the past couple of weeks, I've been feeling a bit down. Like not down down. I don't know how to explain it. I just keep having anxiety about the future and everyone tells me that it's going to be okay, and I keep telling myself that too, but I don't know. It doesn't work no matter how much I try. I don't show out outwardly. It kind of just lingers. Like I'm- I'm-"
"Silently suffering." She finished my sentence.
"What exactly about the future is troubling you? Remember in the BTC technique, after the breathing you think and ask yourself questions, to get to the root of the problem."
"Why am I anxious/upset? Was this triggered by an event, smell, or location? What triggered this response? What can I do to cope?"
"That's right. So you've recognized that you're anxious because of the future. What about it?"
"The uncertainty. I'm scared of leaving my friends and starting fresh, I've gotten so accustomed to the way things are. Change is hard for me."
"Bella, you're doing great."
"8th grade as a whole triggered these feelings. And to cope, I just don't know. Can you help me with that?"
"I definitely can. Thank you for being so mature about it and opening up. I'm so proud of you."
"Thank you." I feel a little bit better.