Budding Friendships

Monday, January 18th, 2023 (7:01 AM) (Olivia's Perspective)
"Mommy, I brushed my teeth already!"
"That's good baby! Go get your bag ready and eat breakfast."
"I already packed my bag! I'm gonna go eat yummy pancakes." I smiled as my six year old sat at the dining table.
"Noah, do you want me to drop you?"
"Nah, I'll be okay Mom! We're going to Starbucks today because I got a free period. Well, more like two."
"Two?"
"Yeah, two of my classes are canceled."
"Stay around the school and don't get into trouble."
"I won't get in trouble, Mom. Even if I did, I have you to bail me out." I stared at him seriously.
"Bad joke?" I laughed and kissed my son goodbye.
"Bella, are you dressed?" I asked while holding her doorknob, wondering if I should go in and check on her.
"Mom, I don't want to go."
"Why?"
"I'm tired."
"You've slept all weekend Bell. What's wrong? Are you feeling sick?"
"No."
"You stayed up watching Grey's?"
"No." She said while choosing her shoes. She was dressed in a nice pair of black Mom jeans and a long-sleeved shirt.
"Then what's wrong hun? Tell me, so I can help you. Remember our conversation?"
"I keep waking up at random times at night with my mind riddled with thoughts. It's so tiring Mom, I just want to rip my brain out." She said with a small laugh.
"About what?"
"Mommy, Mommy! Come here! I need help!"
"I'm sorry, Bella."
"It's okay, go help Lei. She probably made a mess." I'm already having trouble keeping up my end of the promise. What kind of a mother am I?
***************
Sapphire's Home (284 East 79th Street) (Bella's Perspective)
Sapphire lives in a penthouse. It's so pretty. I'm scared to touch anything, I might end up breaking something!
"Your house is so pretty Sapphire."
"Thanks. Hey, wanna go to my room?"
"Sure." She had a really cute room. It was pink and grey, it really suited her personality.

 It was pink and grey, it really suited her personality

"Your room is so aesthetic without even trying. I spent all weekend the other day redecorating my room and it doesn't look half as good as yours."
"You're too nice! Hey, I have snacks, pick your poison."
"Gummy bears." She threw me some and we sat down on her bed to talk.
"I've got a little sister named Maia. She's Leia age, and an older brother, Kaiden." She showed me the pictures. Sapphire doesn't usually get too personal. I knew she had siblings, but she never said their gender or name. I see quite a bit of myself in Sapphire. When I was younger, I was really private about my life. Especially when Maria was fighting to see me, and my Dad went to jail for whatever he did. I just learned to not talk about it, you know?
"Do you miss your Mom?" I asked.
"All of the time, but I'm used to it, she has to work, and she always comes back."
"What about you Bella? Do you have any interesting quirks?"
"I have quite a few. I don't talk about them though. You and I are a bit similar."
"Yeah, we are. From the first time I talked to you, I knew we were similar, besides us being two black girls in a mostly white school." We both laughed.
"We're both a bit more in private aside when it comes to things."
"But it isn't a bad thing, it's better than everyone being in your business. Take Kylie, for example, the whole school watched her relationship fall apart. I would never let that happen."
"Me too, I felt so bad for her." And we continued talking. I told her stories and we shared similar experiences. I'm really happy to have a friend like Sapphire, and I wish that we could still be this close, even if possibly were not in the same school next year.
***************
The 16th Precinct (My Office) (Tuesday, January 19th) (3:25 PM) (Olivia's Perspective)
I heard a knock on my door.
"Come in." The door opened and I saw my sweet Bella there with a box of donuts.
"Here I brought donuts, but you kind of got the leftovers."
"It's okay, thanks bear. I thought you wouldn't come today anymore. Change of heart?"
"I was always gonna come, even if I had a test to study for. I wanna be able to see you more than once before Saturday." I gave her a kiss and she plopped herself on my couch.
"Are you busy?"
"Yes, I always am. I'm typing some stuff up, but I'd love it if you kept me entertained with some stories about your day." She giggled.
"Well, if you really wanted to know, today the funniest thing happened in English."
"Oh really?"
"Yeah, we were acting out a play in English, and Ethan went all out with his performance. I was acting in it too."
"Oh, dear."
"We were supposed to be a couple, and I was supposed to embarrass him in public when he tried to propose to me." Bella continued her story that ended with the whole class laughing.
"You guys are always joking around."
"Yeah, it's fun. However, it isn't as fun when the boys use me as an armrest! But guy friends are awesome, I love guy friends." I raised my eyebrows.
"Look, don't take it like that!" Amanda soon came in to give me updates on the case.
"Aunty Amanda, have I told you that you look stunning today?"
"That's a new one, what did Bella do wrong this time?"
"What?! I am such a good child! I'm disappointed in you. Uncle Sonny, you're here too? This must be important."
"It is, can you give us the room for a moment?"
"Yes, Uncle. I'll just go talk to Uncle Fin about guys, it sets him off and his reactions make me laugh. Bye guys." Why is it that every time I'm with Bella having some girl chat, we always get interrupted? This is probably why she doesn't want to talk to me.
***************
Uncle Fin's Desk (The 16th Precinct) (Bella's Perspective)
"Your Mom told me about that photo, what was that about?" He asked.
"Nothing."
"Nothing?"
"Nope?"
"You know how I always know it's something?"
"How?"
"Your eyes, they tell the whole story. It's something deeper than you think it is."
"I came here to bother you, not for a therapy session, Uncle. I'm having a good day today." I said with a smile.
"I know you did, but Bella, I just don't want you to spiral and do things that are unlike you because you need help or someone to talk to. You feel me?" I nodded.
"I love you, and I don't want to see you in pain. So just know, if anything's ever wrong you can tell me. And, I might not be able to help with everything but I can give you advice."
"Can you give me advice about boys?"
"How did I know- Bella yes, I'll give you advice on any and everything if need be." We both laughed.
"I love messing with you, Uncle Fin."
"I know you do. Bella, do you know which high school you're going into yet?"
"No, the letters are coming out in March for public and private schools. But I hope I got into my top schools."
"What are they?"
"Stuyvesant and Millennium, also Manhattan Institute of Math and Science. But we'll see."
"Are math and science your favorite?"
"Math isn't my favorite, it'll always be English even though I'm super good at it. History and Science come after."
"Then why do you want to go to a school for math and science?"
"Well, I'd love to be a doctor when I grow up, but then I'd also love to be an author. It's a bit hard for me to choose though."
"It's good that you have ideas though." I nodded.
"How did you know you wanted to be a cop?"
"Growing up in the hood, cops were known to be brutal towards us, so I joined to make a change." He explained.
"I think that's really special."
"Thank you."
"Do you know why my Mom wanted to be a cop?"
"I do, has she told you?"
"No, I never asked."
"I think that's a conversation that the two of you should have." I nodded again. I finished up my Math homework and put it in my bookbag.
"Bella, when the last time you've been at my place?"
"Yikes, I don't even remember."
"You should come over sometime, we could do what we always do."
"I'd love to." I smiled and then took one of his candies from his desk.
***************
My Bedroom (6:55 PM) (Leia's Perspective)
It was almost dinnertime, before dinner, I usually like to feed my dolls and animals.
"Toby, you can only have seeds for dinner tonight, no dessert because we ran out of the mangoes," I told my parrot.
"Lolo, eat your salmon." Lolo is always picky at dinner, so I have to promise her dessert.
"Summer, you're going to have chicken and bacon salad with pasta for dinner, it took a lot of work to make, but it's yummy. I promise." Summer, my doll, told me she loved her meal. She wants it every night now.
"Leia?" Lucy was at my door.
"Is dinner ready?"
"No, but your Mommy is on the phone and wants to speak with you."
"Mommy!" I took her phone and put it on the ground.
"Sweet pumpkin! Your dolls are eating their dinner?"
"Yeah! It's a lot of cooking Mommy."
"I can see that. How was gymnastics?"
"Awesome! I did handstands all day. They're my favorite." She laughed.
"Are you coming home for dinner?"
"No, but I'll drop you off at school tomorrow!" I wish my Mommy and Daddy would be home for dinner.
"Okay! And, you'll take me out for breakfast? Like last time?"
"Yes, but that means you have to go straight to sleep. Alright?"
"Okay!"
"Mommy has to go now. Love you!"
"Love you, Mommy," I told her bye and Lucy watched as I fed everyone.
"I'll call you down in a few, okay?"
"Okay." I closed my door and sat on my bed. Why do Mommy and Daddy have to work a lot? I want them home for dinner time.

"Mommy, I feel a bit chilly. Can I come under the blanket with you?"
"Of course, Leia! You'll be all warmed up in a second though, guess what's for dinner?"
"I know, it's sausages and mashed potatoes with the soup you make. It's Irish."
"Well, that is right. You're very smart."
"I know I am."
"And you know it! How did you get so smart?"
"From my Mommy named Olivia." Mommy tickled me and gave me kisses.

"I want Mommy home at least. Or Daddy." I love Lucy but I wish they were home every day. All of my friends have their parents' home every day for dinner. Hm, what if I have dinner with my friends instead? I can go to my best friend's house all of the time! I ran downstairs past the living room and into the kitchen.
"Lucy! Lucy!" Lucy was making rice, chicken, and beans.
"Yes?"
"Can I go to Bailey's house for dinner?"
"No, you're having dinner here."
"I mean tomorrow or any day."
"I'm not sure."
"But I wanna go to Bailey's house! Or Chrissy's. Or Leo's. It's more fun over there." Bella looked at me.
"Why is it more fun there?" She asked.
"Well...because it is." Bella laughed.
"It isn't funny!"
"That's not how you get Lucy to let you go over there." Bella can be really annoying sometimes when she does this stuff. I don't like it!
"Come on, you can go over there another day, you can help me make the lemonade if you'd like."
"No, because you're mean! And, I don't like your stupid lemonade, I hate it!"
"Leia-"
"I don't wanna talk to any of you."

To be continued~