Real News

June 18 (Mom's Room) (Bella's Perspective)
"I need to tell you something. Can you sit here for a minute?"
"Of course. What's going on?"
"I'm really sorry honey."
"About what?"
"I went to court and fought as hard as I could."
"What?!!!" My heart froze. Emotion ran through me, and suddenly, ran out. I was frozen. Frozen in time.
"Bell, they ruled that your mother acted under extreme distress and that you should have brief, supervised visits with her. Bella?" I had no words. I just didn't know what to say. Patterns. Things about my mother make me upset. Realizing this pattern, I need to deal with the situation appropriately.
"When you recognize this pattern, think to yourself for a moment. Ask yourself, what are the positives, do they outweigh the negatives. It's okay to show emotion about these things. Speak about these emotions and release them in an appropriate way."
"Mom, this makes me upset. I don't want to spend time with Maria because when I do, I think about the first time I was abused." Mom looked taken aback and then held my hand.
"I hear you. You've never told me that before. I'll try again, I promise sweetheart. I'm sorry. I am."
"How about, instead of you doing all the talking, I say something. I'm old enough, I can speak my own truth. I don't understand how they can just neglect the fact that she set me up to be sexually abused for months. How she was a drug addict and alcoholic." Mom pulled me into a hug and gave me a kiss. Tears fell down my cheek.
"It's okay, just talk to me. Tell me more about how this makes you feel."
"It makes me feel as if it never happened." I bit my lip to stop myself from crying, but I could only do so much.
"As if they don't believe me."
"Bella, I believe you. We all believe you, and we would never ever neglect your sexual assault. It's a part of who you are."
"But the court practically did."
"Evidence doesn't lie."
************
My Room (Kylie's Perspective)
"Hi, Bella."
"Hey!" We were having a sleepover to cheer Bella up. Bella's name has kind of been on the news lately over some custody battle. I felt bad for her. She seems kind of down about it.
"Hi, Mrs.Ashcroft. Hi Cassie."
"Hello Bella, how are you?"
"As fine as I could be. I'm mainly tired. There were people in front of the studio today."
"So I heard. It seemed crazy form the way Kylie told me."
"It was pretty crazy. But, we're past that now."
"Kylie, can you do my a favor and get me my phone from upstairs?"
"Okay." I went to go retrieve the phone and I heard my Mom talk to Bella.
"You don't have to worry about your secret getting out. I know how private that is to you. And we'll keep it that way until you're ready."
"Okay, thank you. Thank you very much."
"Do you want ice cream sweetheart? Freshly made."
"Yes please." I retrieved Mom's phone and wondered. What secret? What secret is Bella hiding that we can't know? Yet, the adults can know.
"Here's your phone Mama."
"Thanks, sweetheart."
"Let's go upstairs, come on!"
"Okay!" Bella smiled happily and ran upstairs. Maybe I should respect her privacy.
"It's gossip central. So tell me, how are you and Jake."
"We're just fine."
"Are you finally gonna date him next year?"
"Look, who the freak said I was planning to date the guy?!"
"My sources say that you probably will."
"You guys and your weird theories! Where's Hannah and Paisley?"
"They're coming later. They're at dance."
"Ohh. Are you ready to turn 13?"
"Heck yeah." My birthday was July 12th and I was really excited for my big party. I just couldn't wait.
"I like the birth order. Hilary, Kylie, Paisley, Jessica, Hannah, then me."
"You're forgetting like 10 other friends but you're such a baby. So cute."
"Shut up!" Bella said playfully. Bella doesn't seem like she's hiding this big, fat secret.
************
Lilia's Bakery (Morgan's Perspective)
I love dates with my boyfriend, Noah. It never gets boring. He's just so funny, smart, and adorable. I feel like I won the jackpot. Noah is the first guy that I've ever seriously liked. So sometimes, I get really paranoid and wonder if things are mutual. I don't know. This is weird. Stelle, my older sister told me that first relationships are always weird.
"Have an open mind, be kind, be honest."
"Is your family still going to the Maldives?"
"Yes, I can't wait. I wanna go before it sinks completely. How do you feel about Ireland?"
"Seems alright. I'm hoping it's not too much a historical trip. That's what it seems like at the moment."
"Noah, eat better than that. You're going to get frosting in your damn hair." Noah's been growing his hair out. But he eats so sloppily in front of me just to agitate me, frosting in his hair and all."
"You dumb idiot." We laughed quietly as the adults were starting to stare and I held his hand.
"I love you."
"Love you even more."
"I'd love you even more if you weren't such an idiot."
"What a nice thing to say to your significant other."
"I know. I'm very proud of myself for that one." We paid, and then left the bakery. We were practically just walking around our neighborhood. I was taking pictures, and Noah was riding his skateboard.
"Can you slow down?!"
"Can you hurry up?" I ran after him and held his hand.
"I'm loving the hair today." Noah almost always complements my hair. He said my shade of blonde is just perfect for him. It's a weird, but cute compliment.
"Thanks. Hey," I stopped him from continuing to ride and smiled.
"Let's go somewhere private."
*********
Home (6 pm) (Bella's Perspective)
I just finished dance and I was ready to just take a shower and watch some Hulu.
"Hey, babe."
"Hey, El. I'm hungry. Is there dinner?"
"Takeout. Help yourself." I helped myself to the Chinese food and wondered why it was so quiet."
"Elliot. Where are Noah and Lei?"
"Leia is in her bedroom relaxing. Noah is with Morgan. Oh no."
"What?"
"The time. He said he'd be back a while ago."
"I'll call him!" I called from the house phone and the phone just rang. No answer.
"Never mind sweetheart. He's with Liv. They're at the grocery store."
"Okay. El, I'm gonna take a shower, can we watch something together when I come back?"
"Of course." I smiled from the upstairs dining room and went into my bedroom. I put my stuff down and walked into my bathroom where I switched out my towels and so on. I love having my own bathroom, I just hate the cleaning of it. During my showers, I reflect upon events that occurred during my day. Today was a mediocre day.
2 pm
"Thanks for having ice cream with me."
"Don't mention it'," Ambree replied.
"We haven't talked that much since sixth because we got separated and all. How are you?"
"I'm great. But, let's not focus on me. How are you?"
"I'm great too. I realized something."
"What?"
"You talk to Jake a lot these days. What's the deets?!" She said with a small smile.
"I plead the fifth."
"I see." Ambree loves to joke and that's why we're friends.
"What happened to your leg?"
"I cut it when I was hiking with the fam. But, it's gotten better. Faded almost. You know, you're so seemingly perfect. You've never broken a bone!"
"That's true. And everyone is surprised I haven't broken something because I'm so crazy."
"Because you are. But, you're pretty calm also. A balance."
"How kind of you to say. But, I actually do have a scar."
"You do?"
"Definitely. I'm not that perfect. I've got my share of secrets."

For some reason, during that discussion, I felt very at ease. I didn't tell her the secret obviously, but I felt a sort of calmness that I never felt before. I felt comfortable talking about my imperfections. I hopped out of the shower and changed into a tank top and shorts.
"Elliot, I'm ready!" I flew down the stairs and landed straight into the couch, under the blanket, and in my stepfather's arms.
"El?"
"Mhm."
"You're the best Dad I've ever had. Even if I don't call you it."
"Thanks, Bella."
"You're welcome! Now, let's pick something to watch!"

A/N: Stay safe everyone! Wash your hands! ❤️