Back Home

August 24th Garden City, NY
Elliot got a promotion and he's working more, so he's gone, and Mom's gone. So Back to School shopping was done by Lucy this year.
"Lucy, can I get a kitty cat bag?"
"Well, if we can find one." I stared at the list for school.
"Bella, Noah, see anything you like?"
"I need my calculator. Like Noah's."
"Olivia said you can use his, no sense in buying a new one."
"Alright." I crossed it off. We were in Target at the school supply section with all of the other kids looking for their crap. I saw these pretty pencils and picked up two boxes, it should last if people don't constantly bug me for one. I picked up six new notebooks in varying shades of purple, blue, and gray.
"Lucy, my backpack!!" Leia hugged the backpack she found.
"Alright! Now, we need to get you some crayons and pencils and we'll be done with you Lei."
"Noah, what do you have to get?"
"Same as you. These lists get more boring every year." I chuckled. I was practically done. I had pencils, markers, highlighters, erasers, lead, a calculator, notebooks, and a brand new binder since my old one fell apart on me! The next part of the shopping was taken care of, we ordered our clothes and shoes online this year since neither my parents or Lucy could do it. I was kind of sad. I liked doing the shopping in person and joking around with my family as we walked through the store, but I'll accept this too.
****************
That Afternoon (Noah's Perspective)
After shopping, Bella and I went over to our neighbor's house to play video games.
"Okay, let's play in teams! I'll play with Aaden, and you play with Audrey."
"Cool." We were playing Super Smash Bros.
"Rock paper scissors for who can play Kirby!" I grabbed a cookie as I watched the girls fight over it.
"Okay, be Kirby! We're ready to kick butt." Bella proclaimed. We had a nice round of the game and it was really fun. Eventually, it turned into the four of us just talking.
"I'm still trying to understand it."
"What?"
"How you guys say your parents are gone so much, yet I see them as much as I see you guys."
"That's because they're mostly home on the weekends."
"Ohh."
"Mom works on Sundays though."
"Yeah but not as long."
"Is it weird?"
"I don't think it's weird, but it's really dangerous."
"And cool. Mom's gonna be on tv this weekend."
"Next week."
"Simple mistake."
"What is she going on tv for?"
"To talk about back to school safety and stuff like that, and they're going to interview her."
"I wanna go with her. She's going to be on Good Morning America."
"It won't be fun."
"How would you know?!" The three of them said to me.
"I just know it wouldn't be."
"Hey, let's order some pizza."
"Plain! Audrey, your mini-fridge still working?"
"Mhm, get some drinks." Bella ran off to grab sodas.
"Noah, you idiot. What time is it?"
"6 pm. We need to be home for 7:30."
"That's cute."
"Everything is cute to you."
"I don't mean literally cute you idiot."
"I know." Annoying Bella is way too much fun.
"Yes, can we get two medium pizzas. One plain, one chicken with green peppers."
"How much is it?" I mouthed.
"25.98." Bella came back with the drinks.
"I have some money, let's split it. Then, I gotta tell Mom we're waiting on the pizza."
"She isn't going to be happy."
"Can you blame her?"
*****************
Central Park (Bella's Perspective)
It was August 28th. I asked Lucy if I could go meet with Kylie and Jake in the park. She said yes. Mom did too. I rode my bike to the spot that my friends and I like to go to.
"Hey, Bella!" Kylie waved. I haven't seen her since I got back and I ran to give her a hug.
"I missed you."
"Me too! Sweet bike."
"Thanks."
"I can't stay long, I promised Mom I'd help her with dinner tonight. I'll leave some after Jake comes."
"Aww, wish you could've stayed longer."
"Me too."
"Bella, your hair is so pretty today."
"Thanks. Um, I wanted to ask you, why did you set up this thing with just you, me, and Jake."
"You said you wanted to tell him about the crush. You have the opportunity."
"Kylie.."
"Jake!" My face felt hot as he pulled up on his bike.
"Kylie, Bella." We all shared a hug. Jake got taller. And tanner. And cuter. Maybe it is a good thing we met now instead of the first day of school, that would've been way more awkward.
"Tomorrow we get out schedule assignments. I'm so excited!"
"I hope we're in the same homeroom again."
"Me too. Guys, let's get some ice cream!" I got vanilla, Kylie chocolate, Jake a chocolate vanilla swirl. Best of both worlds. We talked some more until about 5:45 when Kylie left.
"I'll see you guys tomorrow I have to help Mom with dinner!"
"Bye!" As she disappeared Jake and I finished up our ice cream we decided to walk around with our bikes.
"Oh no, why did I wear sandals to the park," I said as we had to walk through the dirty, slightly hilly area.
"Don't worry, I'll help you." He held out his hand. He helped me up and part of me really didn't want to let go. His hands felt soft and comforting. I tried to let go and he said.
"Hold my hand, I don't want you to fall." I relaxed and, we started to have a conversation.
"Have you ever thought about the future?"
"In what way?"
"Like, your job, or relationship?"
"Sometimes. I also like to think about the present future. Like my last year of middle school. Graduation." I was still holding his hand at this point, and staring into his eyes. I didn't realize we were close to each other until I had to start looking up to see him.
"Jake, I have to tell you something-"
************
Central Park (6:05 PM) (?????'s Perspective)
"Is that Bella?" I whispered. She was standing extremely close to a boy. They were holding hands. Bella choked up. Something happened.
"I'm sorry, I can't do it. This is so embarrassing."
"What is?!"
"I'm sorry, I made this awkward. Can we talk about this when school starts? After school, at the ice cream shop. Like always."
"Okay, is it serious."
"Well, it is for me. I don't know if it is for you." They both chuckled.
"I have to go home for dinner. Ride with me?" The kids left and I was suspicious.
"Liv?"
"Hey, what's up?"
"Nothing much. I just wanted to tell you that I saw Bella with Jake."
"Oh really, is she still there? Tell her it's time to go home."
"She left, but I just wanted to tell you that they were pretty close."
"What?!"
"Yeah, they were holding hands and everything. I hated every minute of it."
"Did you see Kylie with them?"
"No, it was just the two of them."
"Interesting. Well, I need you back at the precinct soon. I'm surprised you didn't tell Bella anything."
"You know I just sit back and observe."
*************
Bella's Bedroom (Lucy's Perspective)
"Hey, Bella."
"Hey." She was in her bed. I hadn't seen her leave in the hour between when she around and now.
"I have your dinner. Are you okay? Do you have a headache?"
"I-I'm okay." She sat up and ate.
"You seem startled. Did I wake you?"
"N-No I was already awake. I was trying to take a nap but I couldn't sleep."
"That's weird."
"What is?"
"You being tired this early. You guys must've had a lot of fun."
"We did. After Kylie left Jake and I rode our bikes around."
"Kylie left?"
"She had to help Mrs.Ashcroft with dinner."
"Ohh. Did you and Jake have fun?" I asked while feeling her cheek.
"Yeah. We did."
"Did anything happen, after Kylie left?"
"No. Nothing happened Lucy." I nodded. I'm not believing it.
"Okay. There's a package for you downstairs love, I think you should go and open it."
"Is it the clothes Mom ordered?"
"Those came while you were gone. This is different." I went to go get it and came back upstairs. Bella cut it open with her keys and opened the box. It was filled with perfumes and clothes.
"This isn't what Mom and I ordered at all!" She checked the name on the package.
"Oh, Alex!" She read the note on the box.
"Dear Bella, I know we couldn't hang out over spring break last year and I couldn't come to New York to visit so I wanted to make it up to you! Here are some things that I think you'll really love! Have a great start to 8th grade and I wish you all the best! Love Alex, Gabby, and Gabe. P.S. We can't wait to see you again."
"Aww, isn't that cute."
"It is. Let me call her right now! I have to tell her thank you!"
"Aww, it went to voicemail. I'll text instead. When's Mom coming home?"
"Mommy's home!" Leia shouted loudly.
"Well, right about now," I said.

Pt.2 coming soon