Familial Problems

November 7th (11:45 PM)
"Mom?" I watched as she came through the front door.
"Bella, it's a school night." Her eyes looked super red and she seemed tired.
"Mom, what's wrong?" Elliot came downstairs.
"Babe, are you okay? Bella, why are you in the kitchen at this hour?"
"I wanted a drink."
"Bella, stay there." Elliot looked at Mom and so did I.
"You want to tell her?"
"Yes, and we're going to make this quick she has school in the morning." I was confused because it seemed like an adult conversation.
"Bella honey, remember how I told you about lunch with Simon. Someone I wanted you guys to connect with?"
"Yeah."
"He was my brother sweetheart."
"That's why you were so upset?"
"Yes, I wanted you guys to meet him. He's my half brother and I hadn't gotten the chance to spend much time with him. Earlier, I found out that he passed away."
"I'm sorry Mom."
"Thank you for your kind words sweetheart. But, I want you to learn from this. Leia is your little sister, spend time with her. As much as you can. You're so very lucky to be able to grow up with her, I did not have that chance with Simon, and I'm wishing that I did so much right now." Tears flowed from her eyes and down her cheek.
"Don't take that time with your little sister for granted. I don't want you to have to feel guilty like me. Do you understand me?"
"Yes, I do."
"I'm not saying you don't spend time with Lei, you two are always playing and you're an amazing sister to her. Just don't take it for granted."
"Don't do anything to your sister that you'll regret, or you'll have to hide from your Mother and I. It will come back to haunt you. Do you understand?"
"Yes Elliot, Yes Mom."
"Go to bed, you have to be up soon."
"Love you."
"Love you too sweetheart." I went upstairs to my bedroom and got back into my bed. Simon died? Simon was her brother?! This is so much to take in. Poor Mom, that was her brother, and he died. Mom and Elliot are right, I can't and my life with Leia for granted. Had Mom not found her that day, I wouldn't have even known she existed. I got up and went downstairs quietly to the basement. I went into Leia's room where she was sleeping and gave her a kiss.
"I love you, Lei."
***************
Recess (Leia's Perspective)
"My sister gave me an extra fruit snack. I don't know why!"
"Your sister?!"
"Yeah, she packs my lunches for me and makes my turkey and avocado sandwiches just the way I like it! She's the best big sister ever!"
"I wish I had a big sister! I only have an older brother and he's mean!"
"Mean?"
"Yeah, he always pushes me!"
"That's not very nice! You should tell your Mommy and Daddy."
"I did and he never stops!" We played with the hula hoops until Harlee felt tired.
"Harlee, are you adopted?"
"What does that mean?"
"When your Mommy and Daddy look different. I'm adopted." Harlee has chocolate skin but her Mommy and Daddy and brother have white chocolate skin.
"I don't think so. Come on, let's play jump rope, Leia!" Maybe that isn't what adopted means. Hm.
"Jackson, can you hold it?"
"Yeah, I can! Leia?"
"Yeah?"
"My birthday is tomorrow, and I'm going to have a party. You wanna come?!"
"Yeah, that sounds awesome! I have to ask my
Mommy and she'll probably say yes! So I think I'm coming!"
"You're gonna go to his party?" Kamri asked.
"Yeah!"
"At the party, there's going to be so much candy! You can eat as much as you want to eat!"
"Woah!"
**************
Garden City, New York (Olivia's Perspective)
"Mommy?" My five year old sat next to me on the couch and I lowered down the television.
"Yes, my little angel?" She sort of looked around quietly before speaking.
"What is it?"
"I wanna ask you a question, but I don't know if you will be happy."
"What do you mean?"
"You might get angry." Leia sat down and I studied her quietly. What does my angel have to tell me?
"My friend is having a party today. Can I go please?!"
"Leia, I'm sorry but you can't."
"But why?"
"Because it's so last minute. I have to meet their Mommy and Daddy first. Don't you hear me say the same thing to Bella?"
"Yeah." She sighed quietly and looked on the verge of tears.
"Does it make you feel sad?"
"Yes, because I promised! Now he will be forever sad!"
"Oh honey, he won't be sad. Or at least, not for very long. I promise."
"I don't like promises. They suck!"
"Hey, what did I say about saying that?"
"It's a bad word." She whispered. I scolded my daughter lightly and she was understandably still mad.
"It's okay to be angry, but you're not going to use those words. You can go into your room and calm down." She went upstairs quietly to calm down and Bella came down.
"Why is she so angry?"
"She couldn't go to her friend's party. You, come here." She sat down and I gave her a hug.
"How are you, sweetheart?"
"I'm fine Mom."
"You look tired, what's keeping you up at night?"
"I'm just studying."
"Studying for what?" She didn't answer and instead looked at the tv.
"Why are you being so secretive?"
"I'm not supposed to talk about it with anyone. It's a secret project."
"Alright, I won't bug anymore. You seem a bit agitated by it." She's so quiet. I hope she's okay.
"You tell me if it were serious, right?"
"Yes." She whispered.
"Mom, I'm hungry."
"What are you hungry for?"
"Chicken." Bella was starting to fall asleep and it was so adorable.
"I can order some chipotle." She nodded and rested her head in my lap. These kinds of moments with Bella I've been taking for granted. Because, what if by this time next year she doesn't want to sit with me and talk? What if my daughter won't regard me as her best friend?
"I have a headache. Can I have some water? Please?"
"Push and Pull."
"What?"
"Push and Pull." I wasn't sure what she meant but it concerned me.
***************
Starbucks (Noah's Perspective)
"Noah, why did you take me to Starbucks?" Bella asked kindly.
"Because I know you love it."
"That can't be the only reason."
"Because I'm an amazing older brother."
"Noah, I'm not 5. Spill it."
"Alright, fine." I grabbed our drinks and we sat down at a table with our food.
"You've been looking kind of sad lately. Are you okay?"
"Yeah,"
"Promise?" She didn't answer and instead sipped some of her drink.
"Mom told me that something happened to you when you were younger that upsets you from time to time. Is it that?" I was purely guessing because I didn't know what was wrong. She's just so quiet. Then, she stares blankly at you like she wants you to guess. It's scary.
"No. I think about it, but no."
"What is it?"
"I don't want to tell you right now."
"Why?"
"I'm not ready."
"So then tell me why you're sad."
"I said I'm not sad."
"Bella, we all know when something's up. You either get super quiet, or you get super mad. And right now you're super quiet-"
"Noah, I said-"
"If anything, don't you think it's better you tell me than let's say, Mom? Elliot? Your therapist?"
"But, I have my therapist for a reason." She admitted quietly.
"You told her?"
"A bit."
"I'm not going to tell anyone, you're fine." She took a bite out of her sandwich and then looked around as if someone was watching her.
"What's wrong?"
"No one's spying on me?"
"No one's here Bella," I said with a laugh.
"It's just you and me."
"I just haven't been feeling too good these past couple of days."
"Why?"
"I get really bad headaches, and I just don't feel good."
"Why didn't you tell Mom?"
"Because she's grieving for Simon. Why would I talk about my headaches and sadness when she lost her brother?"
"It's much worse. I don't even have it that bad. She lost her brother, I still have you."
"That doesn't mean your feelings don't matter though. Tell me about your sadness." Bella didn't answer again and I sighed. This was going to take forever.

To be continued-