Cause And Effect

"We both promised Bella that we wouldn't tell you who he was, but it doesn't matter now since she's clearly skipping with him." She didn't want me to know?
"Jake is this boy that she's really fond of lately. She's been telling me about how they've been spending time together in Central Park after school and stuff like that. I didn't think anything of it. They're friends."
"They still are, but she went as far as to skip with him. That's not right. She doesn't even skip, to begin with. Someone's influencing her, whether it's him or someone else. And I'm not liking it."
"I'm not liking it either. I'm going to get to the bottom of this Jake thing."
"You do that. I wanna be here when it all goes down." Kat said.
"Well, of course." Amanda rolled her eyes and we wrapped up our lunch.
**************
After School (Bella's Perspective)
I managed to make it back to class for sixth period. We didn't go to the cafeteria, and we hung out somewhere else. At this point, I was waiting for my Mom to pick me up so we could go home.
"Bella Danielle Benson." I turned around quietly and Mom was livid. Did the school call?! And, she wasn't the only one there, Kat was there too.
"We're going home. Right now." I didn't even know what to say. When we were in the car I sort of just stared out of the window.
"Bella, you're in quite a bit of trouble right now. When we get back to your place, I think it's best that you tell us the truth." Kat told me. I didn't like the way Mom was driving at the moment, it was like she was rushing to get home so she could punish me.
"Truth about what?"
"Really?! Are you kidding me, Bella?" We were near home at this point and it wasn't helping matters. Ugh, why did the school have to call?! I wonder if any of my other friends were in trouble too. I got out of the car and we all crossed the street back to my house. Mom was going to be upset. Really upset.
"Bella, go to your room and change. I'm giving you ten minutes. After those ten we're both coming upstairs."
I hid my phone so that my mom wouldn't take it from me. I changed into some sweats and a top so I could be comfortable. And I started my homework so that I would look like a good student. I'll be honest and say, I don't feel bad for skipping, it was the most exhilarating thing ever. Just a bit annoyed that I got caught because Mom would be on me about it. I drank some apple juice and thought to myself as I waited. I was thinking of lies to say, not like they would work, but I could try. Mom and Kat came in and sat down next to me on my bed.
"Bella, what happened at school today?"
"Nothing happened at school today." Mom looked at my work and looked back up at me.
"How would you have the homework if you weren't in class?"
"What do you mean?"
"You know exactly what I'm talking about Danielle, so don't play stupid with me." I couldn't lie, it's hard to do to Mom, especially when you can't get away with it.
"This is weekly homework, so I didn't have to go to get it."
"Why did you skip two of your classes Bella?" Kat asked.
"I don't want to talk about it." I did my homework and they kept staring at me.
"Punish me if you want, but I don't wanna talk about it."
"You don't have a choice anymore."
"Why don't I?"
"Because what you did, isn't good Bella. Skipping is an incredibly bad habit."
"Who were you with?"
"Why does that matter? We're talking about me and what I did." Mom left quietly and left me with Kat.
"Did you skip with Jake?"
"Kat-"
"Just be honest with me."
"I did."
"Did anything happen today? Be honest, Bella."
"Nothing happened between us, we just hung out." I looked at my arm and it was pulsating. I hit in the railing when we were running from the staff.
"That looks painful." I nodded and she sat closer to me.
****************
Bella's Room (Kat's Perspective)
"You know Bella, the more honest you are now, the more likely your Mom is to go easier on you." I rubbed her bruise and gave her a hug.
"Hiding it from us isn't making it better. Why did you skip? Were you forced?"
"No. I wasn't forced, I just, I don't know."
"I just wanted to do something. I felt so bored in class every day."
"But there are other ways to go about it. I'm really disappointed in you Bella." Liv came back in and stared at Bella.
"Bell, look at me for a sec?"
"Yes?"
"I'm disappointed in the fact that you skipped, but I'm even more disappointed that you didn't tell me about Jake."
"I didn't want to tell you about him because I didn't want you knowing about every boy I liked. I can be private about it."
"And you're not wrong, but you skipped class with him and all of your other friends. It's concerning... And I'm here to wonder if you skipped to be doing things you shouldn't."
"I didn't do anything."
"I hear you. But hearing that you skipped, makes me worry. I don't know what to think because that's so out of character, you love class time, you're eager to learn. Somethings wrong, and I'm afraid to say that you're not telling me." I saw a tear fall from Bella's cheek.
"Get out." She said quietly. Bella has never talked to me like that, and I've never ever heard her speak to Liv like that, she was being so different. So angry.
"Get out of my room!" She cried loudly and Liv told me to stay.
"Get out! Why are you still here?!"
"Because we care!"
"I don't want you to care!"
*****************
Mom's Bathroom (Bella's Perspective)
It's been a few days since the whole skipping thing. I still haven't talked to Mom or Kat or Elliot or even Noah about everything. Which I guess isn't good. Mom grounded me for two weeks, so I can't go anywhere, and I'm not going to Cali anymore. Tonight, Elliot and Mom were having a date.
"Sweetheart, how was school?" I shrugged and said that it wasn't good.
"Bella, when are you going to tell me what's wrong with you?"
"I don't want to talk about it." She sighed and fixed her makeup.
"Okay, babe. Remember you're going to Kat's."
"Why do I have to go to Kat's house when Lucy is going to be here?"
"Because you're spending the weekend there."
"But why?"
"Because I said so. You and Kat will have fun together, I promise."
"You've punished me enough."
"Bella, that's not nice! I'm not sending you there as punishment either, you need some space to clear your head."
"But I can't go to Kylie's house or Hannah's?! We're all grounded."
"Blame yourselves, skipping isn't a good thing to do." Mom sat down and gave me a kiss.
"Baby, this isn't to punish you, I promise. I'm disappointed, but I could never stay mad forever. I love you, and you know that. Now go and pack your things."
"I already did."
"Good. Don't be sad, I'm not punishing you further."
"I'd be sad either way, doesn't even make a difference. And, it has nothing to do with the warehouse either, I don't care anymore."
"Okay, what does it have to do with?"
"Everything but that." Leia came in and giggled.
"Mommy, I'm all ready for bed!" She hopped into my lap and she whispered into my ear.
"Don't tell Mommy! Okay?"
"I won't, I promise!"
"Don't tell Mommy what?!"
"I'm not telling you! It's our secret!" I smiled at my little sister as she gave our Mom a hug.
"Alright, go downstairs and watch your movie, you're going to bed right after!"
"Okay! Bye Mommy!" When she was gone Mom was still stuck on the topic.
"What does it have to do with, Bella?"