Chapter 34 - Feeling Grateful

It was a few hours later and Maya woke up from a nap she took.
She sigh as she rolls over to face a picture next on the bedside.
Since Josh was into Photography there was a lot of photos in his room.
The one she had held was when they had met.
She wonders if he maybe knew back then they would be together.
Why frame a photo of them then?

She climbed out of bed and looked around the room to see more photos on the wardrobe door

She smiles as she does realize she never actually did just sit back and think about everything.
She thinks about what does everything really mean.
Josh has a lot of people to support him and a lot to be grateful for.
While Maya is wondering what does she have.
A absent mother and a step-father who doesn't even know how to react to this news.
She couldn't have asked for better, hey?
But what she actually does realize is she isn't alone.
She has Josh and that is all she can really ask for.
A part of her friends and family are acting good and that's also okay.
But she has to let reality sink in on it's own without her wondering what could have been.
If she had just went on with her life she wouldn't be where she is today.
But that isn't bad.
She is grateful for everything that had happened in her life and so far she isn't entirely down.
She may be pregnant at sixteen with a nineteen year old's child but she is doing okay in her own.

~

Maya came out of the room and instantly faced Amy.
She was sitting on the couch going through some old photos when she heard Maya.

"Maya. How was your nap?" Amy asked.
"Well needed. I haven't been sleeping really well these days," Maya said.
"Because of nausea?" Amy asked.
"Yeah probably. But also a lot of stress. How people are going to react, how my friends are going to react, how my parents are going to react and so much more. Anyway. I want to thank both you and your husband for reacting so well. Your reactions are probably the best we have received and it really helps knowing my boyfriend's parents are just as excited as we are to have this baby. My friends' reactions were positive but also like how are we supposed to be acting so I'm glad someone is acting a bit more like we are. My parents aren't a big fan of Josh right now and I doubt his brother is as well but I'm happy knowing we can actually go forward knowing you guys are happy," Maya said.
"Of course we'll be happy. No matter what we actually do we can't change it. Plus I've been a grandmother before so I'm excited to welcome another grandchild in the family. I am actually hoping for another grandson. Auggie would like a nephew so much and Riley would spoil him rotten," Amy said.

~

"I can't believe your parents acted so good," Maya said as she just laid on Josh's chest.

His parents were out and the two of them just wanted a few minutes in silence.
Maya was feeling better today and since that Josh was actually able to relax as well.
He wasn't constantly worried about Maya and she was actually relaxed as well now that they know how Josh's parents see the news.

"That's the thing about Amy Matthews. She always knows how to handle news like this and what to say. Looks like you're doing a lot better," Josh said as he stroke over Maya's hair.
"I feel a little better today. Not throwing up constantly is really helping," Maya said.
"How did your friends react?" Josh asked.
"You don't wanna know," Maya said as she let out a sigh.
"Maya," Josh said looking at her.

She had sadness in her eyes and Josh could see it took a lot for her not to burst into tears.
And he was pretty sure it wasn't the pregnancy hormones.
It was how everybody was taking the news.

"They tried to remain calm and stay the same way they were. They were a bit excited but didn't know how to handle me. Vague congrats here and there but I could see neither of them knew how to handle the situation," Maya said as a lost tear escaped from her eye.
"I don't know how I am going back on Monday to that school and acting normal. I don't know if I want to. I don't think I can handle what it throws to me."

Maya takes a deep breathe and closes her eyes.
Josh looks down at her and sees her face.
She doesn't know how to handle any of this.
She is trying but doesn't actually know how to handle it.
Josh throws a blanket over Maya before kissing her head.
He knows she is really just trying to take this as she goes on with her life.
If she can go on with her life.