Chapter 43 - Making Decisions

Maya was busy packing out all her stuff when Riley came in through the window.
She definitely wasn't seeing forward to this conversation and neither did Maya.
But it had to be done.

"Maya," Riley said.
"No. If they can just say what they want they can go fly. I'm not being bad mouthed like that while they pretend to be my friends. If they want to do that, it's fine. But I'm done with them then," Maya said.
"Maya just listen please. You can't just say this and that. You have to give it time."
"No. You know I think I need time alone," Maya said.
"Okay call me when you need me," Riley said and was gone.

Maya sighs as she realizes everything is about to change.
Even Farkle who has known her for potentially years is going against her.
This is supposed to be a time where they just relax and figure out how to do everything.
Now Maya has to worry about everything else besides the baby.

Maya hears her phone vibrating and instantly getting a text from Josh.

J: Wanna come over? Thought we could discuss a few things if you're in the mood.

She smiles as she responds to Josh and heads out the apartment.
She hasn't actually realized how much stress is in this entire thing.
It wasn't going to be as easy as she though.
Maybe she does actually get the right to distract his attention.

~

Maya and Josh were going through a list of apartments which they could possibly move into.
Josh saw awhile ago when they started Maya's attention was elsewhere.
And now he sees it even more.
He takes one look at Maya and drags her to the couch.

"What is going on? You have been acting odd all afternoon," Josh said.
"I finally heard what my friends think of the pregnancy," Maya said and Josh sigh.
"And it wasn't positive?" Josh asked.
"Basically what they said is I'm either going to leave the baby with you or I'm going to do what my father did," Maya said.
"Neither is true and I know that. Just because they don't like the way things are gonna change doesn't mean they don't care. Maybe they're just confused," Josh said.
"Maybe but I don't know how handle it when they tell me I'm gonna be a great mother and then hearing that behind my back they say I am going to throw my child away," Maya said and a tear escapes her eye.
"But you know that isn't true. Maya look how you are with Auggie," Josh said.
"Auggie is seven. Who says I can handle a baby? That is different," Maya said.

Josh smiles as he wipes Maya's tears away.
She looks up and into his blue eyes.

"No it isn't. Whether it's a baby or a kid you have to win their trust. You'll be their mother and no matter what they will always trust you. If you get something out of this situation it's that you can't let other people control your life. I know it's hard and I don't think it's going to get easier but we have each other. I told you it before and I'll say it again. I'm not going to leave you like your father did," Josh said.

Maya smiles before she hugs Josh.
She knows things are going to get harder.
There is no stopping that but maybe she can still save a bit of it.
She knows she can.
She just has to try.