027

A MONTH LATER...

'' What's wrong?''

She had this stressed look on her face as she came down into the kitchen where I was having breakfast with an object in her hand. Though it had only been a month, I enjoyed being married to her. We had a two week honeymoon thanks to my dad for resuming his duties while I was away and he paid for the honeymoon. For the past three weeks that we have been back though all I have done is work. She understood but I knew she hated me leaving before five in the morning and returning at eleven at night. Today was the first day I did not have to wake up early and I could sit down with my baby for breakfast.

'' This.''

She slid the object towards me and to my surprise it was a pregnancy test with two pink lines on it. Now I have never used this before so I did not know what the markings on it meant.

'' Okay do these lines mean we're pregnant?''

She silently nodded yes.

'' With twin girls?''

There were two pinks lines after all.

She looked at me with her eyebrows raised, taken aback like I had lost my mind or something before she burst out laughing. She replied no while still laughing and explained to me the test after she had calmed down.

'' So I'm going to be a dad?.''

'' Yes you're going to be a dad.''

She was still laughing and made me stop doing my victory dance.

'' Don't laugh I've never seen this thing before and how am I to know that the color is just for decorative purposes and what two lines mean.''

'' I'm sorry but that was the funniest thing I've ever heard and but I'm glad that this is both our first test and child.''

'' I'm happy you are carrying my first child.''

I grabbed her wrists and pulled her towards me to kiss her. She got in-between my thighs as I was seated and she was still standing. Since I met this woman I have experienced happiness beyond what words could describe and it just kept getting better.

'' How far are you?''

''I cannot know for sure but according to my calculations, I'm almost three weeks. I've called my doctor and made an appointment for two days from now.''

'' I'm coming with.''

'' Really? Don't you have a meeting with delegates or another trip out of the country?''

Her tone was no longer happy.

'' That's not fair. You know I hate being away from you as much as you hate me not being home but with your inauguration coming up and all these deals I have to finalise before then, I have to spend less time home to get things done and now that we're having a baby, I am going to be away more. So that I can be home when the baby comes.''

She kissed her teeth and removed her arms from me, walking away. As much as she hated this I did too but I had a country to run. Which was bound to come between us but not today.