68. The car ride

"Let's go guys, the drivers are here..." Beom calls across the room, saving you from the awkwardness that's now consuming you at the table with Jungkook. He looks a little awkward too, but it looks more like he's zoned out, you don't blame him, you don't blame him at all.

Especially after he just said 'friends', so, he's obviously sat there internally regretting the choices he'd just made before.

But no more than you are, surely?

You could lose your job? Should lose your job?

Should never be able to work with idols again to be honest!

No.. wait...

"Guys!" Namjoon is snapping his fingers at you in front of the table, "... come on let's go"

You slowly trudge along behind Jungkook, not wanting to get too close to him, especially not after hearing him say friends, because now that's all that consumes your head.

'Just friends'

"You go in first because you're getting out last" Jimin turns saying to you, as you reach one of the cars; you nod and climb in wordlessly and then realise Jungkook followed you into the back.

'Fuck!'

You end up in the car with Jungkook, Jimin, Taehyung, Hoeseok and the driver. Yoongi, Namjoon, Jin And Beom in the other.

At first, it was awkward as hell, you stayed tense at the side of Jungkook, holding your body away from him not daring or even wanting to touch him.

You're frozen!

He seems frozen too, it's nothing like you've experienced with him before. And you don't like it!

You don't like it at all!

At the next red light when you're nearing the guys' dorm Jimin and Taehyung are chatting and messing around between themselves, Hoseok is lost in his phone, Jungkook shuffles and you notice, you notice because it's the first time he's moved since you both got in the car.

Like he's unfrozen!

He moves a little closer into your space.

You feel his hand touch your hand lightly at the side of you and you stop, everything stops, you're pretty certain your heart might have stopped too.

You have just about enough courage left in you to turn slowly and look at him because you don't want to lose him now after everything, even if this might hurt, you catch his eyes in the dim light of the car, but you can still see them sparkling, pretty as ever.

You're staring at each other and then Jungkook slowly and softly grabs at your little finger with his index finger and hooks them together and you just let it happen, lost in his gaze.

So, so what did he mean before when he said friends?

"Y/N?" Jungkook breathes as if he'd been holding his breath, maybe he had, you had been too.

Could you now rise back to the surface?

"Yeah?" You barely whisper, totally lost in his eyes.

"Ah I see you're friends again!" Jimin giggles turning around in his seat and looking over it to you and Jungkook.

Damn it Jimin, he's wrecked the moment.

Your first instinct is to drag your hand away from Jungkook's but his hand stays very much there away from Jimin's line of vision, he leaves his finger hooked with yours and tears his eyes away from you, just as you pull your eyes away from him as you both stare at Jimin.

"What?" You choke out eyes glaring at Jimin through the gap in the seats.

Jimin giggles, "I'm joking, god whatever is up with you two I wish you'd quit it!" He rolls his eyes jokingly and turns back around as Jungkook shakes his head.

"Ignore him" Jungkook whispers leaning in close to you so no one else can hear the conversation. When you don't pull away he intwines his fingers with yours and gets a better hold on your hand, your heart almost gives in at the softness after all the fear you had swimming in your veins before.

Maybe you haven't lost him after all, but whatever this is, whatever is happening it can't happen, can it?

You take every last inch of courage that you have and lean into him resting your head on his shoulder and closing your eyes softly.

Your heart fluttering in the wake of things.

You hear Jimin again, "Awh so cute look, she's tired" but you don't move, you stay still pretending to be asleep, you don't want to face him or any of the real world again for a while, even though you know in about five minutes you'll be pulling up to their dorm and you'll be left alone when they all pile out.

"Shut up!" You hear Jungkook spit playfully at Jimin's comment, then he squeezes your hand a little tighter, so you squeeze back.

All too quickly do you arrive at their dorm and you'd do anything in the world to keep hold of Jungkook and not let him go, maybe after everything that's happened if he went home with you he'd lay comfy with you in bed and you could cuddle; the problem with all this is that you make up this whole wonderful world in your head where things can be normal between you both and you can live happily ever after but how is that ever going to happen when he's famous and you're supposed to be their trusted assistant?

Imagine the media frenzy if they got hold of it!

"Y/N? Hey..." Jungkook whispers at you as he strokes his hand over the top of your hair and it causes a spark through your spine and your stomach's butterflies fluttering like mad.

You pretend to wake up looking up at him and when you catch his eyes you could cry at the thought of leaving him.

"We're back home I gotta go, you'll be okay, right?" His voice is soft and quiet, you see the others climbing out of the car one by one.

"I'll be fine, thank you" You smile at him shyly.

"You sure?"

You nod, yes in a silent response.

"Goodnight Y/N"

You catch the light twinkling in his doe eyes again, "Goodnight Kook" he pulls his hand reluctantly out of your hand and then climbs out the car, and he stays standing there.

"Go on, go... I'll see you later" you smile and he smiles turning and walking away catching up with Jimin who'd hung back to wait for him.