Chapter 16: The Final Challenge

Ludo Bagman was standing in the middle of the field with Krum and Fleur. Harry and Cedric made their way towards them, climbing over the hedges. Fleur beamed at Harry as he came nearer. Ludo Bagman was going to tell them about the Third Task of the Triwizard Tournament, which takes place in exactly one month. When they reached the Pitch, it was criss-crossed by bushes.  "You'll have your Quidditch field back to normal once the task is over! Now, I imagine you can guess what we're making here?" Bagman said. Harry examined the hedgerows, noticed the right angles and long stretches, the shape of the bushes. No one spoke for a moment, Then...

"Maze," grunted Krum.

"That's right!" said Bagman. "A maze. The third task's really very straightforward. The Triwizard Cup will be placed in the centre of the maze. The first champion to touch it will receive full marks."

"We simply have to get through the maze?" said Fleur.

"There will be obstacles," said Bagman happily. "Hagrid is providing a number of creatures .. then there will be spells that must be broken ... all that sort of thing, you know. Now the champions who are leading on points will get a head start into the maze." Bagman grinned at Harry and Cedric. "Then Mr. Krum will enter ... then Miss Delacour. But you'll all be in with a fighting chance, depending on how well you get past the obstacles. Should be fun, eh?"

Harry breathed a sigh of relief. The spells that he had been putting so much effort into the past couple of months would definitely be helpful in keeping him safe inside the maze.

...

Harry didn't sleep well that night, seeing the maze being grown for the final task had made it feel real in a way it hadn't until that moment. He found himself going over the spells he had been learning over and over again for most of the night instead of sleeping, finally falling asleep in the wee hours of the morning. 

Delphini and Hermione were beginning to become very worried for him. Over the next few weeks, Harry spent most of his free time in the Room of Requirement practising the defence spells and hexes that his dad, Remus, and Sirius had recommended to him. Delphini, Ron and Hermione were helping him prepare, despite having to neglect their studying for the upcoming exams to do so. With all Delphini, Hemione and Ron's support and advice, Harry felt even more prepared for this task than he had for the other two. That made Delphini feel relieved.  On the morning of the third task, breakfast was a particularly noisy affair as the students were all excited about the task, which was scheduled to begin that evening after the exams for the day were done. 

The feast seemed to pass more quickly than usual and Harry had a hard time eating anything. "You don't need to worry Harry, you'll be great." Delphini said to Harry as she saw he was shaking. "Thanks, Delphini, I'm just worried that I'll fail and I'll die." Harry said. "Your Harry Potter, The Chosen One." She added laughing. "If you can survive Voldemort as a baby, you can survive this tournament." Delphini said tapping his shoulder. "I need to go and meet Hermione and Ron, we want to get the best seats."

"We'll be cheering you on from the stand."

...

Harry and Cedric were the first to enter the maze since they were tied for first place with eighty-five points each. At the first fork, they split up, Harry taking the left fork while Cedric took the right. As he moved deeper into the maze, Harry moved slowly and cautiously finally stopping to settle down in a corner. He leaned against the hedge, only to find himself being pulled farther into the greenery, branches wrapping around him and threatening to immobilize him. Harry quickly fought his way free, using a powerful cutting curse that his dad had taught him. He should have realized that it wouldn't be that easy to avoid the dangers of the maze.

Delphini had only been watching for half an hour, but you were already trembling with nerves. Was Harry alive? Or dead?

"What are you doing?" yelled Cedric's voice. "What the hell d'you think you're doing?" Then Harry heard Krum's voice. "Crucio." Horrified, Harry ran up his path trying to find a way to get to Cedric. Harry quickly stunned Krum and dashed over to Cedric to help him up. After satisfying himself that Cedric was ok, Harry sent up sparks so that Krum would be collected by the patrollers and then he and Cedric split up again. "Watch out! On your left!" Harry bellowed as loud as he could towards Cedric. 

Cedric looked around just in time to avoid the creature but tripped and lost his wand as he threw himself out of its path. Harry quickly cast his dad's cutting curse on the spider and it gave a high pitched squeal as a large slash appeared in its side. The spider collapsed and curled up leaving Harry looking past it at an astonished Cedric, who was standing only feet from the cup. "Harry, are you alright?" asked Cedric. "What was that spell you used?"

"I'm fine," Harry said, ignoring the question about the cutting curse. "Listen, Cedric, whatever you do don't touch the cup."

"Of course not," Cedric responded. "It's yours. You should win. That's twice you've saved my neck in here."

"That's not what I meant," Harry said in frustration as he carefully made his way past the dead spider. "I don't want to win the Tournament, I never even wanted to be a part of it.  The cup is probably booby-trapped in some way."

Cedric shook his head as Harry stopped beside him. "No, you need to take the cup."

"Didn't you hear me," said Harry. "It's a trap. Neither of us should touch it. I'm going to send up sparks. Hopefully, the teachers can figure out what's going on when they get here."

"What are you doing, Cedric?" Harry demanded as he tried to pull his arm out of the larger boy's grip. "I told you it isn't safe."

"You need to touch the cup, Harry," said Cedric and he pushed Harry forward.

Harry desperately tried to avoid touching the cup but it was no use. As he fell across the plinth he felt a jerk somewhere behind his navel and the maze disappeared in a howl of wind and swirling colour.

...

Shortly after their encounter with Voldemort, Harry and Cedric returned. They both won and both from Hogwarts. How cool was that? Delphini thought to herself. She ran down to hug Harry and congratulate, but before she did, you made eye contact and then looked at Cedric. Everyone was to busy to realise that Cedric was in fact dead.  Delphini then screamed. She ran towards Harry as Harry lay Cedric on the floor. Then everyone realised

Cedric was dead.