Chapter 42: Secret conversation

Harry, Hermione and Ron made their way towards Slughorn's office for his early Christmas party, even though it was October. Harry didn't want to go as he had just witnessed his head teacher being killed by one of his professors. "Remind me why we're going to this?" Hermione huffed. "Come on it can't be that bad" Ron said. Hermione just glared at him. As soon as they entered his office they were met by loud music, actual pixies causing mischief, as per usual, and Slughorn's beaming smile. "Ron, Hermione" Slughorn beamed. "Harry, my boy" "How have you been?"

"Good" Harry replied, not sure what to say. "How's Delphini? Terrible thing that happened to her" Slughorn responded by shaking his head, sadly. "She's recovering slow, but making steady progress, It's been four months." Slughorn just shook his head sadly. "She's going to be released in two months" Harry started to say, when Filch suddenly entered the room, gripping onto Draco's shoulder.  Now everyone's eyes were on Filch and Draco. "I discovered the boy lurking in an upstairs corridor, claims to have been invited to your little party." Filch sneered, grimly. Malfoy pulled himself free, looking completely furious. "Alright, I was gate crashing, happy?" Draco spat. 

"I'd like to have a word with you, Draco?" Draco looked hesitant. "I am his head of house, Filch" Snape said coldly, eyeing Filch. Snape signalled for Draco to leave with him and he did.  "Harry?" Hermione was saying. "Are you even listening to me, Cormac is trying to hit on me, and he's Delphini's ex."

"Hermione, sorry, but I really don't care right now.. I need to follow them."

"You'll get caught.." Hermione started to say as Harry left the room in search of Snape and Draco.  Harry's footsteps were masked out by the loud blasting music from the party. Suddenly as he was about to turn a corner, her heard vague muffled voices. He quickly pulled his invisibility cape over his head and moved closer.  "We cannot afford mistakes, Draco, because if you are expelled.." Snape yelled silently. "I had nothing to do with it, I've already told you." Draco said trying to leave annoyed. Snape punched the wall next to Draco's head.  "Don't lie to me, boy. It was clumsy and foolish, plus you already have people suspecting it was you."

"Who suspects me?" Malfoy sneered. "I already told you, ok. I had nothing to do with that Riddle girls cursing. She must of had a secret enemy or something." Draco shouted carelessly.  "I know what you're doing. Bellatrix has been teaching you Occlumency, I see.." "What are you trying to  hide from your Master, Malfoy?" Snape shouted harshly.  "Nothing" Draco replied over pronouncing the 'N' sound. Harry pressed his ear closer around the corner.   "Listen, Malfoy, I swore to your mother I would protect you. I made the unbreakable vow, Draco" Snape said more calmly. "I know" Draco said looking down, then his facial expression changed. "You still love her, don't you?" Snape questioned. "Only love makes you this crazy." he muttered.

"WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT LOVE?" Draco shouted. "You blew your chance with Lily, you called her a mud blood! No look at you" Draco continued to shout, and started to point towards Snape. Then he turned around and left, walking past Harry, not noticing him because of his cape. Snape just stood there. Harry then left and walked back to the party. Some part of him felt bad for his teacher. Snape returned a couple of minutes later and had his normal blank expression on his face, like nothing had happened.  "Are you okay Harry? You were gone for ages" Hermione asked concerned, as she took a seat next to him. "Oh yes I forgot, I've got loads to tell you and Ron later, we can tell Delphini when she returns."

"I even had to dance with Cormac just to make him shut up- do you think Delphini will mind?" Hermione said. "No" Harry replied. "Good"